We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scuba...book ahead??

Lisbon, NY
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Scuba...book ahead??

I will be staying at El Coz 4/7 thru 4/14. My 14 year old son is a newly certified diver and we plan on getting in a dive or two during our stay. Any recommendations? Should I book ahead?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,939 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scuba...book ahead??

It would not hurt. That may be a high demand time so contact your preferred dive op. Check the El Coz website for their dive shop if that is your preference.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scuba...book ahead??

You want to dive the Caribean, not the Pacific.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,939 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scuba...book ahead??

elcozumeleno.com/eng/diving-snorkeling.cfm

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scuba...book ahead??

I would definitely book ahead of time.

There are lots of very good dive operations in Cozumel - everyone seems to have their favorite. We loved Blue Project. Others will chime in with theirs probably..... scuba tony, scuba mau, scuba du, among many others are highly regarded.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scuba...book ahead??

i get so confused sometimes

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
6,001 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scuba...book ahead??

I would also recommend Scubatony.com

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Scuba...book ahead??

When we were newly certified, we started at Chankanaab Park. Nice shallow shore dive. You can rent your equipment there. Small dive groups. Lots of fish. Some coral, underwater statues & swim through cave.

Less stressful way to "get your feet wet" before doing a boat dive.

Have fun!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,904 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scuba...book ahead??

For a newbie, ScubaTony.com would be an excellent choice. Very personable service.

Tony's boat is in the Caleta marina, so you will need to catch a cab to the marina (south of town). If you rent a car, no problema.

Now if both of you are into a little adventure, check out spearfishing with Leo. http://www.spearfishingtoday.com It is free-diving and a lot of fun. He also fishes the area in front of el Coz, so he could pick you up at your dock.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scuba...book ahead??

Book through Ocean Tours or directly with Scuba Du. Ocean Tours are right there at El Coz. I've been diving with them for several years now and they are a long standing dive company in Coz.. I love those guys.

My grandson dove with me last summer. I had been instructing him in my pool for several years. He did the resort course free, then did a beach dive and the next day, did a boat dive. He was only 11 yrs old...now 12 yrs.

I always use a private Dive Master, Hector.

Scuba Du has been around about 22 yrs now and they're very reputable....can't be beat!

scubadu.com

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
96 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scuba...book ahead??

Depending on time of year you could be out of luck if you don't book early. Spring break and holidays tend to fill up.