We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break for my Kid in Cozumel?

Karon, Thailand
5 posts
Save Topic
Spring Break for my Kid in Cozumel?

My son and some of his friends are wanting to travel to Cozumel for spring break, is it safe for them? I was a little worried about the drug situation in Mexico and did'nt want my boy getting into a fuss?

Karon, Thailand
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Spring Break for my Kid in Cozumel?

Is it easy to buy perscription drugs there?

West Michigan
Level Contributor
505 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spring Break for my Kid in Cozumel?

well, I guess you would have to look at several factors... how old is your son? Is your son wanting to go to party? Cozumel itself is VERY safe. I'm sure there are a drug issues, but what town anywhere in the world doesnt have some issue with drugs. The things you hear about it being unsafe in Mexico becuase of drug lords and things like that are referring to areas far away from Cozumel. The issue I would more worry about is them going with a group unsupervised and drinking too much. The drinking age in Mexico is 18. Although there are the big party places like Carlos' and Charlies, and Senore' frogs, I would say Cozumel would be much less toned down atmosphere than Cancun.

I am not nervous about me or my family traveling to Cozumel, and would not hesitate to recommend it to any of my friends or family with complete confidence that they would be safe. I would however, have concerns of my son or daughter traveling to Cozumel with a group of friends for spring break, ONLY becuase I would worry about the over-consumption part.

Please dont think I am judging. I am not in any way! Just didnt know how to say it...maybe this way...the town is safe--just know that they will have LOTS of access to LOTS of alcohol!

West Michigan
Level Contributor
505 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spring Break for my Kid in Cozumel?

and yes. it is easy to buy prescription drugs there. Many of the medicaitons sold in the US by prescription only are sold over the counter at every drug store and even in the airport. I am not sure if there is an age requirement, but I would think if the drinking age is 18, then that would probably be the age for buying meds as well.

Karon, Thailand
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spring Break for my Kid in Cozumel?

WOW! could you recommend a resort that has more non pro drug tolerance?

Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
23,296 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spring Break for my Kid in Cozumel?

??? No resort will babysit your child for you so I'm not sure what you mean by a "non pro drug tolerance". Prescription drugs aren't sold at the resorts but rather at pharmacies or the airport.

No offence intended but as indicated by ginka, the kids will have plenty of access to alcohol and if they want to get hold of pharmaceuticals or street drugs, it will not be difficult. The potential for them to open themselves up to a world of hurt is huge. The reason most people have happy, uneventful vacations is because they don't do stupid things; the same can't always be said of young adults.

If you are concerned that your child (or his friends for that matter) aren't going to act appropriately, then perhaps they shouldn't be going without a chaperone.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spring Break for my Kid in Cozumel?

you have to decide if your kid is smart or an idiot. Mexican jails are not fun.

ft worth
Level Contributor
977 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spring Break for my Kid in Cozumel?

I would add that no matter where they go, if they are bent on getting drugs..well they will..As far as over the counter in mexico..you can not buy weed, coke etc..over the counter..If you are worried about this then you need to have along talk with your kiddo..they definately do not need to be irresponsible in a foreign country..

Karon, Thailand
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Spring Break for my Kid in Cozumel?

They will be travelling with adults! can you recommend maybe some where that has a mixed crowd?

West Michigan
Level Contributor
505 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Spring Break for my Kid in Cozumel?

oh, you didnt mention they would be traveling with adults...that said, then Cozumel would be HIGHLY recommended and safe! Agian, depending on their age, there are many places to choose from. Sabor is adult only, so that is anyone 18 or over. All the rest are not. Cozumel does not draw the spring break teen crowd like Cancun does, so I think any of the AI's (if that is what you are looking for ) would have a nice mixed crowd. Maybe include the kind of ammenities you are looking for (close to town, AI, cheap, cost doesnt matter, etc.) I really dont think you could go wrong with any of them.

michigan
Level Contributor
123 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Spring Break for my Kid in Cozumel?

If you are worried that the children/young adults might seek to obtain perscription drugs then I am not sure why you would allow them to travel anywhere without you. By the time that they are 17 or 18 if you can't trust them to make reasonably sound decisions then there is a problem somewhere. My biggest concern when my children went on spring break was not what they would try to get away with but what someone might try to pull off on them. Sent my first born with personal raincoats and the advice that if he used one that was the least of my worries. I instead advised him on how others might try to take advantage of him and the importance of a buddy system. Drinking was a given and I discussed how alcohol can kill, as I continue to do. If I even thought that he might think about obtaining other drugs he wouldn't have gone. After visiting Cozumel for several years I can say send the kids with adults- it is safe. They will probably have a hard time getting into too much trouble and hopefully lots of daytime actiivities will tire them out. BTW- if your child wants to obtain drugs it is probably easier to do before they leave in their own neighborhood and thowing them into a tylenol bottle than finding a pharmacia and trying to translate into spanish (with adults in tow).