We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Shark Tour

Wasaga Beach, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Shark Tour

Well, after many trips to Cozumel, in either March or November, we will be changing up this year to a summer vacation. We are booked for the end of August. I'm not crazy about traveling there in the summer months, but my husband would like to elimenate another venture off his "Bucket List" and swim among the Whale Sharks. I've been doing a little reserch about this and know they are there between the end of June, until the middle of Sept. and are between Cancun and Holbox. Sooooo, a summer vacation it is. It would be so much easier to stay in Cancun, but that's just not our cup of tea. We love Coz. I have come across a few tours, with very different prices. My question is, ....has anyone done this and can recommend a good tour company, and is this something I should book online, or can I find someone in town that offers this. He will be purchasing a dive pkg. as well, but will do that when we arrive. He is familiar with the different dive op's there. The end of Aug. shouldn't be too busy, but I don't know. Thanks for any suggestion with this.

Washington State
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Shark Tour

We will be going in July and have booked a Whale Shark tour with Dive Paradise. Very reasonable prices and I know I am getting the best service!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,841 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Shark Tour

I'd suggest a slightly different idea and we did this two years ago.

Land in Cancun and take the bus to the Isla Mujeres ferry. Spend 2-3 nights in Isla Mujeres and do the whale shark tour from there. We rented a small apartment withing walking distance of everything and loved the location. A rental car is not needed. Do your whale tour trip and any diving. Then catch the ferry back to the mainland.

We had planned to catch a cab from the ferry dock to the main bus terminal and then a bus to PdC. A sharp cabbie asked us where we were going and we told him PdC. For $50 usd cash he took us the entire distance and dropped us off at the PdC ferry. Total travel time was about an hour.

Catch the ferry to Cozumel and voila you have the best of both worlds!

Wasaga Beach, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Shark Tour

Thanks mslf,.....I had thought about that as well. We have already booked our time in Coz. My husband (the diver), I'm not, will most likely be diving 5 days and enjoys Cozumel diving. Also, I am somewhat familiar with Cozumel, so when he gone for at least half the day, I'm comfortable going into town and venturing around myself. He realizes he will have to take the 6 o'clock ferry to PDC and get picked up at Senior frogs and on a bus for an hr. to Cancun, but he's ok with that. Just wasn't sure of a good company to use and weather to book from here.

Thanks Cookielady, will check that out.

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Shark Tour

I would recommend Deanna with Two D's diving and tours.. Look her up on Facebook.

Saskatoon
Level Contributor
382 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale Shark Tour

Last summer we stayed at the Iberostar. We dove with the in-house dive shop, Dressel and so it seemed natural to book the whale shark tour with them. We did this before our trip and got a 10% discount. We still had to catch the 6:00 ferry. By the time we go to Playa, they were waiting for us. We were treated very well. There were 9 people altogether on the boat.

On the way back, the boat stopped at Isla Mujeres for a quick dip in waist high water, beer and some fantastic shrimp ceviche.

Was actually one of the highlights of our trip.

If interested, pm me and I can give you the contact information for Dressel.

Here are out vids:

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

www.youtube.com/watch…

Wasaga Beach, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale Shark Tour

Thanks Linkslady and pcgold. I will look into both of those as well.

pcgold.........love the vidoes. Looks like a great time was had by all. Now to do a little more reasearch...lol.

Thanks again everyone,

Linda

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,762 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale Shark Tour

While looking also consider booking directly with a tour operator out of Isla Mujeres or nearby mainland area. One such operator is

http://islawhalesharks.com/

Logistics may be your biggest barrier in which case spending the night before in the Cancun area or Isla Mujeres solves that problem.

Someone recently mentioned an inexpensive hotel across from the Cancun bus station which makes logistics easy. The ADO bus system is cheap, safe and reliable.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,762 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale Shark Tour

The Isla Mujeres forum (Top Questions section) may have other folks to check.

Edited: 25 March 2012, 14:25
Wasaga Beach, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale Shark Tour

Thanks Co_Pilot,....certainly "food for thought". Will check out the Isla forum.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
206 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale Shark Tour

I've done the whale shark tour a couple of times and all I can say is simply amazing. Here is one thing to consider. First and foremost is weather. If its windy, most companies will postpone and for good reason. Last year I got sick and the waves were just 4 to 5 ft swells. Pretty much wasted $150!! The shark are about 1 to 1.5 hour north of Isla. Holbox probably would be a shorter trip. Just keep in mind that the day you wish to go could be canceled due to weather which would require you to stay 2 nights. Good luck!!!