We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much in small bills to bring for a week

Saint Joseph...
4 posts
Save Topic
How much in small bills to bring for a week

I am headed down on Saturday and just wondered how much money in small bills you suggested to bring? What denominations? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
310 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much in small bills to bring for a week

we bring $100.00 in ones. Tips for the maids and anyone else. We never have any left over.

Wood River Illinois
Level Contributor
95 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much in small bills to bring for a week

I agree. $100.00 in ones. I also take some fives for tips at dinner. We usually find a pool waitress or bartender that is deserving of a little more also. We usually give them a five at the end of the day as a thank you for being the best.

Gilbert, Arizona
Level Contributor
164 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much in small bills to bring for a week

This helps us...leaving the 14th... We have also booked several side trips and the cooking class and all those are still pending with the final payments as we've made deposits via PayPal. So are those final monies expected to be in USD or can we finish with plastic? American Express was never seen in Costa Rica...just Visa or Mastercard...either one favored over the other in Cozumel?

We usually leave the maid's tip at the end of the stay but does the same lady clean the same set of rooms every wk or do you tip every day?

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much in small bills to bring for a week

I bring a wad of $1s - probably not close to $100 (that's more like what I would bring to Belize where they use US dollars widely and everything is really cheap so you always pay cash).

In Mexico I only dip into my US $1s in the rare event I dont have small bills to tip someone, but plan on using pesos for everything. I bring a wad of $1, about $300 in emergency money that usually comes home with me - and my ATM card. As soon as I arrive at the airport, I find a bank affiliated ATM and get pesos.

suitcaseready.com

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much in small bills to bring for a week

Tip the maid daily. You might have the same one each day and maybe not.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
16 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much in small bills to bring for a week

I took around $50 in ones and $80 in fives and ran out of ones.

Fairview, Illinois
Level Contributor
273 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much in small bills to bring for a week

I usually take $100 in ones and $100 in fives, and works out about right for a week. This year I did not get to the bank and only had $50 of each and ran out early. Had a hard time breaking large bills at the resort.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
2,930 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much in small bills to bring for a week

The balance for the cooking class is to be paid in cash. I think we used US$ if I recall correctly. Don't forget to bring some tip money for the helpers. When we did the class, Josephina had 2 local ladies helping, they did a lot of the chopping, actual cooking in front of the stove, and the cleanup. They definitely deserved a good tip.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much in small bills to bring for a week

We use $2 bills a lot. The locals consider them good luck.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,924 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much in small bills to bring for a week

I'd head to my local bank and get a couple hundred dollars worth of pesos in small denominations. My local bank, in Iowa, actually had them on hand. The whole thing took five minutes.