We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Calling all El Coz experts!

Grove City, Ohio...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Calling all El Coz experts!

My family will be traveling to El Coz in September 2012. (Naysayers, please don't respond with sickness posts... read it all before, no offense intended). Anyway, I will have my 17 (almost 18) year old daughter with me. I am aware that the legal drinking age is 18 in Mexico, however, her father and I don't mind if she has a drink laying by the pool in a controlled environment. My question is... Will she be able to?

Thanks in advance!

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Calling all El Coz experts!

I don't know if I'm an "expert" or not. I have been to this property five times though.

At check-in at the front desk, minors (and I'm guessing that means under 18) are given a different colour wristband than adults. The ONLY reason I can see for the colour difference is so that bartenders / servers don't make the mistake of serving alcohol to underaged guests.

I suppose if she was to "cover up" the wristband with one hand and she appeared to be 18, she may get away with it.

ft worth
Level Contributor
977 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Calling all El Coz experts!

ditto, above post. Her wrist band will be a different color. You could most likely get away with getting her a drink yourself especially if you bring your own insulated mugs..

MI
Level Contributor
630 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Calling all El Coz experts!

We stayed at El Coz in 2000 (holy crap that was almost 12 years ago! lol). The wristbands were all the same color and every time our kids went to the pool bar, unless they specified NO alcohol, they were given a real drink (mostly pina coladas and strawberry daquiris). these kids were 6. 8 and 9 (no way they could be mistaken for adults.).

Anyway, I don't know if they will or not, but the insulated mugs are a great idea. You get it and give it to her.

Not that you asked for this advice but please be careful. If she is not used to alcohol, it can be overwhelming in the heat. Have a great time!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Calling all El Coz experts!

The only way you will have a different colour band there is if you pay the child rate which is 11 and under at that hotel. As long as the adult rate is paid you will get the adult band. I am pretty sure that there will be no problem with getting served and if there is you could always order the drinks for her which will also add to your monitoring how many. :)

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Calling all El Coz experts!

KACO's comment makes more sense than my previous one. I'm going with what KACO just said.

Yeah, I was wrong.....

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Calling all El Coz experts!

Hmmm.... not to discount KACO, but our kids are both over 11 (oldest was 14 last spring) and definitely got a different color band than the over 18 adults.

The lady at the desk actually caught herself when she almost gave her the adult one by mistake... (my daughter was mad lol).

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Calling all El Coz experts!

Yes, ditto, Kaco....she'll have the same color band and she will be able to drink.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Calling all El Coz experts!

I'm surprised, Steve about that. I would bet though that at 17/18, will be adult,,,"you never know until it happens" is my motto.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,898 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Calling all El Coz experts!

Who knows...maybe it is just incosistent???

I think after ordering shirley temples for several days the bartenders might have given her a dirtly look if she ordered a chi-chi :)

Grove City, Ohio...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Calling all El Coz experts!

JLO, thank you for the advice. The heat definitely makes a HUGE impact. We certainly will be monitoring but it's a matter of picking our battles and at her age, if she wants to have a drink, she'll find a way... (I always did!) So, with that in mind we're compromising on this. The mugs are an excellent idea for her! My husband is already shopping for one for his beer so we'll add another to the list! I just don't want to get her a drink and end up spending my vacation in a Mexican jail!!! That would SOOOOOOO suck!

Thanks everyone!