We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Carnival - Part One

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Carnival - Part One

Long overdue... my apologies.

Saturday, Feb 18

Arrived on time to Cozumel via O'Hare on Continental a little after Noon. Got thru Customs OK, both bags arrived, got the Green Light. Passed the Sharks, grabbed a van to Isis. While I got the car, my wife goes to Zermatt's for tomorrow's breakfast. Got our purple VW convertible, and we were off to Villa Miranda. Got there before "Official" check in time, but they had just finished cleaning up from the previous guests. Unpacked, put on shorts & sandals, and had a beer. I was to play "Taxi Driver" today. Picked up my Sister-in-Law about 3:00. Got the Guest of Honor (her 40th B-Day) about 4:20. The last couple was delayed in Denver, so they didn't get in til about 6:00 (2 hours late).

Everyone unpacks, cleans up, and we head down to the parade. Had a few beers, ate at various street vendors. Made it an early night... back home by 11:00.

Sunday, Feb. 19

Slept in a little late. Had coffee & bakery, then 4 of us head to Mega to stock up. One couple that went shopping were Coz virgins... they had fun shopping @ Mega. Had to ask why we could not buy ANY alcohol in bottles. Was told by a manager that there have been "Wars" with bottles at the parade. Starting Wednesday we can buy alcohol in glass. Had to suffer with canned beer.

After shopping we walked around downtown, and we stopped at La Choza for lunch. I must say, I like this location better than the previous one. We called a cab, because it was raining HARD when we finished lunch. The driver waited while we changed, then he took us to Buccano's.

We arrived about 3:00, I think. Had a few buckets of beer, swam, and just relaxed after the travel day. I had read on CMC that they were open at night now. We were surprised when they asked us to leave before sunset. Everyone said they had no cell service, so they could not call a cab. So the 7 of us started to walk home. Right at the guard shack, a taxi van pulls in. Better to be lucky than good, I say.

At home, we sat around the pool. Another early night. Two of our group are spearfishing tomorrow, and they want to get a good night's sleep.

Monday, Feb, 20

I drive the two spearfishers to the dock @ 8:30. After I see them off, I get the 3 ladies who want to shop, and drop them off @ Cinco Soles. Then I go to the mercado for tonight's dinner supplies. I buy (2) pineapples (dessert), guacamole stuff, ingredients for a Mango/Jalapeno salsa, a big bag of limes and warm tortillas. All this for less than $20.00 US. I then go to Covi, and get Tequila & Triple Sec (in GLASS botlles). When I asked them if it was OK to buy Tequila, they looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my forehead. They probably thought, "You're in a liquor store, and you ask if you can buy Tequila? Loco Gringo!"

Picked up the fishers @ 1:30. They had one lobster and 3 Trigger fish. I promised to make dinner if they got something. I've never cleaned a fish that was as difficult to skin as those fish. It took me an hour to clean 3 fish. Normally I'd be done in 15 minutes.

Had the lobster as an appetizer. Fish tacos with Mango salsa, cheese quesadillas as a side, as well as guacamole. Spent the evening poolside sipping margaritas and nibbling on pineapple.

Tuesday, February 21st

Javier the Churro Man stopped by again. What a wonderful man. Friendly, helpful, just a pleasure to be around. He was here Monday as well, and ended up stopping by every day until we left.

We called the van from Sunday, and he took us to Metzcallito's. We got there about 10:00. Ate, drank, relaxed until about 11:30. He then took us to Chen Rio. Had a few more beers, played in the water til about 3:00 or so. Got back home, jumped in the pool (very cold). It did a nice job of freshening (sobering) up a bit before heading downtown.

We had a spot near The Thirsty Cougar to watch the parade. As someone bought drinks, I went to Zermatt's and got their last pizza. Brought that back to the group. Had a great time at the parade, as always.

After the parade, we walked around the square, the Park, eating and drinking ourselves silly. Everything we ate was from street vendors, and everything was excellent. Those that worry about getting sick, I say don't worry a bit. 7 people in our group, everyone eating from a wide variety of vendors, not a single case of a sour stomach. I have no idea what time we got home, but I know it was after 2:30 AM. A great time was had by all.

More to follow...

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Carnival - Part One

So far so good! Looking forward to more.. And pics!

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Carnival - Part One

What a great start!

We too rented the purple Bug from Isis. We named it Barney. I hope he was OK with that. I really liked that one.

Gracias for the report.

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
5,932 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Carnival - Part One

Barney, I like that :)

Great report so far can't wait for more!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
373 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Carnival - Part One

Would you stay at Villa Miranda again? We have a large group coming in November, so I am looking for a 4-5 bedroom rental in that area.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
383 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Carnival - Part One

Yup, we stay there again in a heartbeat.

DJ & Donny are great hosts, nice & big, close enough to downtown to walk, yet far enough away to be quiet.

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,146 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Carnival - Part One

We call the purple one Purple People Eater. The green one we call Green Goblin.

7. Re: Trip Report - Carnival - Part One

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 00:16