We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MayAir - I'm confused.

UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
MayAir - I'm confused.

Hi All.

I think I am being extremely stupid and need your help please. I'm looking at booking a flight with MayAir from cancun to cozumel. I asked on theonline live help what the three different prices meant. Can anyone decipher their reply for me please?

Kate: Hello Leonel, Please could you advise what the difference is between saver, priority and plus?

Leonel: Fares are all main cabin, they are priced different if customer reserves in enough time frame and availability remains for such a chosen one, cabin has certain numbers of seats for lower and higher rates, if the earliest the flight is booked, the lowest price may be gotten.

Thanks to anyone that replies

Kate

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,759 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MayAir - I'm confused.

It sounds like if you purchase far enough out it is cheapest. Most expensive would be a purchase right before the flight. Plus there may only be so many seats at the cheapest price regardless of your purchase time.

This is typical with airline pricing.

Another way to get to Cozumel from the Cancun airport is here:

tinyurl.com/7m3r6

Edited: 10 April 2012, 17:42
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,759 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MayAir - I'm confused.

I just saw that there is only $4 USD difference in price. Just try booking the cheapest that you can. You won't be strapped to the wing outside.

UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MayAir - I'm confused.

Thank you very much for claifying things and the additional link :-)

Kate

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: MayAir - I'm confused.

One of them may be the local's fare. If you have something that proves you live there or nearby, they give you a discount.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,274 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: MayAir - I'm confused.

It would specify that if that was the case. I just tried to book an airline in Ecuador that did that - there were 3 fare tiers - and there was a box to check if you're an Ecuadorian. I tried it both ways. All 3 tiers dropped $5 if you checked that box.

A lot of airlines do this now - a matrix or chart with tiered fares. The earlier you book the cheaper the seats will be, but they also have more restrictions. They probably show the higher fares so people who dont want the restrictions can opt for the higher fare.

suitcaseready.com

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,681 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MayAir - I'm confused.

Agree. Its pretty much how all airlines do things. They sell only so many seats at the lowest fare and , as the aircraft fills and departure time nears ,the fare goes up.

However from my airline days, all this is based on projections. If the airline is way off in the projections, they may once again start releasing cheap seats at the last minute. Other than the airlines fare and pricing analysts, most employees dont really understand it.

UK
Level Contributor
49 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MayAir - I'm confused.

Tickets all booked and managed to get a discount via live chat. Thanks everyone for your feedback. Roll on 5th May :-)

8. Re: MayAir - I'm confused.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 11:16