We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those who go to Mega, Chedraui etc

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
289 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
For those who go to Mega, Chedraui etc

What do you buy to bring home? I remember someone was talking about spices and spreads...what exactly are you buying??? I am looking for things we can't get here and want ideas.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For those who go to Mega, Chedraui etc

Well, I bought the Ched out of Vina Maipo Carmenere upon arrival and only got 3 bottles in my checked bag back to MN. Got one left...just waiting for the perfect time.

The vanilla at Los Cinco Soles or Mi Casa is the best IMO.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,804 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those who go to Mega, Chedraui etc

Coffee. Usually 3 bags to last until the next trip. I just opened the last bag. Time to go back.

Mega has a great selection.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,251 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For those who go to Mega, Chedraui etc

Frijoles Charros in a Can (Mexican Style Chili) and Manchego Cheese. Very expensive in the US. Anchiote Paste for Ribs and Chicken...

Corpus Christi...
Level Contributor
1,249 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those who go to Mega, Chedraui etc

Vanilla is on my list this year. I usually get it when going across The border here, but have not done that since it is not "safe".

Mark, what kind of coffee do you like to get?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,424 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those who go to Mega, Chedraui etc

Good suggestions from Dan and some you wouldnt normally think of buying . I love frijoles charros and try them in many restaurants. I have rarely bought coffee in Cozumel because I buy when I am in the state of Chiapas, the home of my favorite coffees. Many good choices.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,804 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For those who go to Mega, Chedraui etc

600 miles for a cup of Joe? I'm impressed. Mega carries coffee from that region.

The brand I like is Santa Fe Regular Cordoba Caracolillo. You can buy it as whole beans or ground (molido). Dark rich coffee with a slight hint of chocolate.

Texas
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: For those who go to Mega, Chedraui etc

We got our dog at Mega. It was Humane Society of Cozumel adoption day in the parking lot.

She seems pretty happy here in Texas.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,424 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For those who go to Mega, Chedraui etc

I wasnt trying to impress anyone , Mark. San Cristobal , Chipas happens to be one of my favorite places so I always buy enough coffee while there to last until the next trip. A dificult choice with so many coffee places there. And , of course, Mega sells Chiapas coffee since its one of Mexicos biggest coffee producing regions. Mexico really has some great coffee from many areas. Of course, you can always do what many Mexican friends do and buy Nescafe instant, ha ha.

North America
Level Contributor
616 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: For those who go to Mega, Chedraui etc

I purchase my vanilla at Sedena - good quality and lower prices. The vanilla at Mega and Chedraui is normally the imitation.The gourmet vanilla at Los Cinco Soles is also excellent. Also from the grocery stores - oregano, it is really good and also inexpensive, same for cinnamon sticks. If you visit the mercado, there are often interesting spices to choose. I haven't brought coffee back, but for daily use tried the Blauzon brand, and it was good.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,804 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For those who go to Mega, Chedraui etc

Crunch, you stole my joke. I was going to suggest they bring back a puppy.