We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Casablanca Restaurant, cozumel

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
McDonough, Georgia
Level Contributor
11 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Casablanca Restaurant, cozumel

I tried to find on trip advisor to review and was unable to find them. The food is decent, not any better than many other places in Cozumel, however they stick it to you when you get the bill. We were there on a Sunday and was going to pay in USD however the rate was 30% higher because according to our waiter the banks are closed on Sunday making a difference in the exchange rate!!! We paid the bill at the 30% higher rate and informed them that we travel to Cozumel quite often (we are there approx. 6 times a year), and that we could not be back to eat there again!!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Casablanca Restaurant, cozumel

That was a total rip off. Hope you did not leave a tip, because that was the tip!

We eat there frequently ourselves and have never had this issue. Do you remember the waiters name?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Casablanca Restaurant, cozumel

Thats a good one I never heard of before. Why did you pay the inflated bill? Did you speak to the Manager?

Edited: 09 May 2012, 17:26
Ontario
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Casablanca Restaurant, cozumel

Huh. We ate there a couple of weeks ago and our bill was **lower** than we expected. We had great service, too. Why didn't you just go to the bank machine (HSBC is right there, I think?) and get some pesos rather than pay the exchange?

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Casablanca Restaurant, cozumel

we were there for Superbowl Sunday and found they Were one of the only places we could watch game without reservation. there was a group of six drinking and eating. . We saw on menu shots were 6 Dollars apiece but he charged us nine dollars a shot. He claimed he brought us the good stuff.one couple drinking beer was charged for_7 and only had 5. I know it was Sunday and_alot of places close early, but we planned on tipping well. Our waiter also ask us if we had enough money for everything we ordered I have never been asked that Before.. When we questioned the bill the waiter Went to the back when he returned he had taken off around fifty Dollars.. He then stood there expecting a tip and got a Small one but who knows how much the bill really was. I am sure he did well. Also the food was horrible. Avoid Casablanca on the Square.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Casablanca Restaurant, cozumel

I can't believe that place is still open. I guess location means more than I realized. Went there once years ago, average food, insultingly bad service....we actually walked out on them without a tip which they sure didn't appreciate. Rude staff, average food, and now this story of padding the bill....but been around for years. Go figure.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,620 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Casablanca Restaurant, cozumel

Thanks for the heads up.

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Casablanca Restaurant, cozumel

I submitted a request to Trip Advisor to locate the restaurant and include it in the restaurant list here...so give it a little time and hopefully they will add it so you can give it a proper review (and others can too)!

Thanks!!!

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,892 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Casablanca Restaurant, cozumel

is that the place on the corner across the street (north) from hsbc? where the waiters try really hard to get you to sit down?

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Casablanca Restaurant, cozumel

It is on the far corner at the back of the square .

by cafe dennis.Which is where we really wanted to go, but was closed.

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
1,199 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Casablanca Restaurant, cozumel

a definite yes on the pushy (moreso than usual) waiters shoving menus in your face as you go by. Keep moving til you hit Casa Denis.....if open.