We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Which resort can please parents, teens and a toddler??

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Which resort can please parents, teens and a toddler??

We are planning for our diverse family's first AI. We have travelled a couple of times to both coasts in Mexico and would like to take our kids - ages 4, 12 & 15 years - along for the trip. Does anyone have any suggestions for a great resort that can please the needs of both teenagers and toddlers? We would prefer the Caribbean coast of Mexico (Cancun, Riviera Maya, Cozumel) but other than that the location is flexible. Ideally we'd like a larger resort with lush grounds, free form pools, and decent food. We'd prefer a resort that offers unlimited a la carte restaurants and room service with clean, nice and newer rooms! Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
5 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP! Which resort can please parents, teens and a toddler??

I just recently went to Cozumel and stayed at Iberostar. There were some kids activities there, but maybe 3 kids the whole time we were there. My parents always stay at the Allegro in Cozumel and rave about the kids activities. They say there is a water park, kids pirate pool and a whole zip line type park next door. They've been trying to convince me for years to take my kids. It's all inclusive, food is decent and the rooms are villa style. Cozumel is extremely safe and I wouldn't hesitate to take my kids there. Hope this helps.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP! Which resort can please parents, teens and a toddler??

I would suggest you try the mainland.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,916 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP! Which resort can please parents, teens and a toddler??

Am thinking playa del carmen may have more to offer as well.

The cheaper AIs on cozumel have marginal food (IMO) - you wont starve, but you wont fall in love with the food.... the more expensive ones are fine...but are...well more expensive.

For Coz sounds like Iberostar would be the choice though.

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
90 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP! Which resort can please parents, teens and a toddler??

There is a forum for the Mayan Riviera called Loco Gringo. It is very informative. Just put www. in front of locogringo and .com after. They even have a board specifically for all inclucives.

Ft.Worth Tx
Level Contributor
427 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP! Which resort can please parents, teens and a toddler??

I have been to Cozumel numerous times and I am planning on going this year in August. That is why I am monitoring this board.

But, last year I went to the mainland and I stayed at the Barcelo which is about half way between Playa Del Carmen and Tulum. It fits all your requirements. It is a really big place with lots of nice grounds and at least 4 very large pools and about 1/2 mile of beach and lots of restaurants and bars. The nightly entertainment is about the best I have ever seen at a resort.

There are actually 5 hotels in the Barcelo Complex. I think that two are about 3 1/2 - 4 Stars, two about 4 1/2 stars and one was 5+ Stars. The guest mostly mingle throughout the resort during the day and can drink and eat in most of the restaurants and bars. In the evening meals you are a little more segregated.

The 3 1/2 -4 Star customers eat in their buffet and the 4 1/2 Star customers eat in their buffet. The 3 1/2 Star customers get to eat in a Ala Carte 2 nights during their stay, 4 1/2 Star Customers get to eat in an Ala Carte 4 nights, 5 Star customers eat in Ala Cartes every night. So for almost unlimited trips to the ala carte restaurants in the evening you will have to be staying at the 4 1/2 or 5 Star hotels. The food was pretty good in all the Buffets and Ala Cartes I have eaten in.

I have stayed in both the 3 1/2 - 4 Star Hotel room and the 4 1/2 Star hotel room and found them both nice and comfortable. The entire resort is nice and only a few years old.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP! Which resort can please parents, teens and a toddler??

We are going to the Allegro to keep the young'n happy!

7. Re: HELP! Which resort can please parents, teens and a toddler??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 04:17