We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El coz and sickness?

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
El coz and sickness?

Ok... I've already booked for the end of May. This will be my 3rd time to visit El Coz. The "drug wars" didn't scare me, the swine flu didn't scare me and I won't let this latest sickness scare me. However, is there really any truth to it.? Any suggestions on how I can prepare for it just in case? I read a bunch of reviews about the staff wearing masks yet I find it hard to believe that no one took a picture of that as proof. I hope it's not true but if it is, I'll throw on some depends ,carry a barf bag around and lay on the beach anyway. I'll just look at it as getting to go on vacation and lose weight at the same time. Lol. Just in case I'll be dosing up on vitamin C and I'll be sure to take my airborne tablets before I get there. I'm so excited and can't wait to return to Cozumel.

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El coz and sickness?

Pet. We just got back from Coz a few minutes ago. We were at the El Coz for a week. The ONLY sickness was from the "younger crowd" drinking too much. I will post a review shortly, but after at least 12 or so years, this was BY FAR the best stay we've had at the El Coz. They have made major improvements. "What?" you ask. Just stick around. I was really impressed.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,920 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El coz and sickness?

I was afraid there was a new round or something...that was so 3 months ago.

UncleDaryl - glad you had a great trip, can't wait to hear your thoughts on all of the el coz improvements.

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El coz and sickness?

Can't wait to read all about it!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
887 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El coz and sickness?

I always wash my hands a great deal and carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with me. Buffets could be the culprit of many intestinal issues anywhere in the world, but using the sanitizer prior to eating may help.

I have heard that drinking white wine i.e. chardonnay helps kill bad tummy things, not sure if this is true but I always seem to drink enough alcohol to kill anything in my stomach and have never fallen ill from any resort outside of my home. In Nov in Punta Cana my husband picked up a stomach bug, but I was fine. No clue where it came from, could have been touching the back of a lounge chair for all we know.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El coz and sickness?

I just got back Sat 5/12 and there is no problem with anything on the island. Awesome trip.

Norman, OK
Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: El coz and sickness?

petstylist, I don't know how your or your doctor feel about antibiotics as a preventive thing (and it sounds like things are under control there and probably no need) but we were there during the big illness breakout in mid March, and we got sick. After we got home and symptoms still going strong after almost two weeks I went to my doc. He prescribed Flagyl & Cipro for my husband and me and within a day the symptoms were gone. He suggested if we ever go back, to come see him first and he will give us a script to get started on before traveling, just to be safe. I had been to El Coz before with no problems - it was probably just a "one time" thing - I'm glad you aren't stressing and I'm sure your vacation will be wonderful!!!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El coz and sickness?

Azithromiacin is a miracle cure for traveler’s revenge. Ask your doctor for some to take along. One pill is all it takes to save a trip. We were told to take it immediately with the onset of any symptom. While I've never been sick in Cozumel, (but have used it on many other trips) I always have it with me and have given it to other unfortunate travelers to save their Mexican holiday. The other thing that works well in Cozumel is "Treada". Its a little pill that you can buy in any pharmacy there without a prescription. Works very well.

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El coz and sickness?

petstylist LOVE YOUR ATTITUDE ! I bet you will have a amazing vacation.

ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
69 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El coz and sickness?

Azithromiacin was in the news this morning concerning studies that show a higher incidence of heart problems in people taking it.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
641 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El coz and sickness?

I highly reccomend Pro Biotics to anyone traveling to mexico. It will fortify your natural stomach bacteria and will help your stomach fight off foreign bacteria that you are not used to.

Every place has bacteria in the water. Even in the US. You are used to the bacteria in your local area, so when you travel to another country, you can get sick by not being used to their local bacteria.

We have been taking probiotics for years, but really ramp up pre cozumel trips and during trips, and have not been sick since our honeymoon in 1996.

You can take the antibiotics as a last resort, but do know.......any antibiotic is going to kill bacteria......the bacteria in your stomach included. So take probiotics regardless. If you get in a situation where you are taking an antibiotic, the probiotics will help replentish the good bacteria in your stomach and will speed your recovery......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probiotic

Go to your local health food store and ask them to show you where the non-refridgerated probiotics are. We take kids chewables with us and take 1-3 at a time. They taste good and dont have to be refridgerated.