We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety snorkeling north of San Miguel

Big Bear Lake, CA
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Safety snorkeling north of San Miguel

We are planning a trip the end of October or beginning of November. The condos on the north side look so much better, but I have heard that the currents up there make it dangerous for even intermediate snorkelers. Is this true or is it safe enough close to shore. We are looking for a place that we can snorkel right in front of and we prefer condos or villas to big resorts. There don't seem to be as many south except on San Francisco beach area which is not suppose to have good snorkeling. Any ideas? Thanks

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,804 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety snorkeling north of San Miguel

The currents vary, but to say it is dangerous is an overstatement. The reefs and things are pretty much within 25' of the "wall" and you can get out of the water almost anywhere.

I usually swim against the current (to the south) until I have gone as far as I want. I then let the current carry me back to the condo.

I've done some spearfishing drifts from our condo at Nah Ha all the way to Cozumeleno or Playa Azul. I get out there and walk back via the bike path.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety snorkeling north of San Miguel

We spend a month in a condo at the North end every winter and I snorkel all the time. Yes..there are currents. But there are currents everywhere on the island. Some days they are a bit stronger than other days. But they are not dangerous. You are not going to be swept out to sea...never to return. Go....take a condo in the north. We love the north end. The wall is absolutely beautiful. I snorkel within inches of the wall, even on choppy days. The one way you will get hurt, is by grabbing on to the coral. It is filled with fire coral, sea urchins and other things that sting. If you ever feel at risk, just drift with the current and climb out at the next house. There's a ladder every few yards all along the coast. Good advice above...snorkel against the current when you first get in, then drift back "home" when you get tired.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety snorkeling north of San Miguel

I second all of the above.

We always wear snorkel vests just to be on the safe side. The north is lovely and great to snorkel.

The Coral Princess is a smallish hotel and has good snorkelling right outside.

Hotel B is really nice and looks to have good snorkelling right there too.

4. Re: Safety snorkeling north of San Miguel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 May 2012, 15:14
Edited: 14 May 2012, 15:14
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,109 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety snorkeling north of San Miguel

I put in at Coral Princess a few times and exited at the condos to the north and walked back to Coral Princess a few times back in Feb. The snorkeling is pretty good for not being out on a reef, lots to see and the current isn't really that strong. The closer you stay towards shore the more you stay out of the current too.

6. Re: Safety snorkeling north of San Miguel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 23:15