We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good street food?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Good street food?

Looking for good places to find street food..

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,222 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good street food?

So much good street food, its difficult to know where to start. Some are stands and some you will find on tricyles. One favorite of mine is the corn either on the cob or served in a cup with mayonnaise, butter, chile powder, Mexican cheese, lime and sometimes other things. My favorite is in the cup and called esquites. You will find all over town, including on the main square.

Another favorite of mine is the Marquesita, made by vendors all over town. Its like a rolled up crepe, filled with various things. My fav is Nutella but can be cheese or many things. A good place for these is the stand at 30 and Juarez, next to the San Francisco supermarket. He has been around for 15 to 20 years.

Of course, great hot dogs and tamales are everywhere. In the evening you will find many tamale vendors on 65 north of Juarez.

Mentioned in this post
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Katy Texas
Level Contributor
1,627 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good street food?

Don't forget the Churroman

ft worth
Level Contributor
977 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good street food?

Mmmmm the corn! I do love that roasted corn

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good street food?

We always walk around municiple square and eat corn and churros. We met a lady we called taco lady who had a coca cola tent and tables on munuciple square. she made hand rolled tortas and quesadillas We ate there everyday she had the best chorizzo tortas. We saw her three trips in a row,but she was not there in march-very sad. Heard she had a restaurant, wish i knew where. enjoy.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
954 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good street food?

One of the "warnings" that I have read regarding travel outside of the US is food from street vendors. I know a lot of this may be due to the water in other countries that may cause intestinal issues. So, is it safe for me and my family to partake in the food from the street vendors in Cozumel? I mean, I am doing some serious drooling over the food that was just described in these posts and I would love to try some good "walking" food.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good street food?

I will eat from street vendors and never had problems. Funny i wont eat from the taco wagons in okc, but love them in coz. My taco lady in coz using chlorine tablets in her water. They warn of people washing veggies and such in tap water,because of

parasites. I don't worry about it.enjoy. i can taste the churros now-3 weeks out

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good street food?

I would love to try the corn. But without the mayo.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
110 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good street food?

We have never been sick in Cozumel, but we go every year and we've been doing that forever. The food isn't bad....it is just different bacteria than what we have at home. So after a few years of eating and exposing your body to the new bacteria, it isn't a problem anymore. As a first time traveler, I would be a bit careful. My sister joined us one year and got very sick. She was so dehydrated by the time she got off the plane for home, that she had to go straight to the hospital.

Having said that....there are some precautions you can take. Many will have ideas for you here. The Pepto tablet each day helps. I also always have Azythromyacine with me. At the FIRST SIGN of trouble, take a tablet. One is usually all it takes. My sister refused treatment, thinking she would get better on her own. All the pharmacies sell a pill called Treada that also works wonders on the Cozumel bacteria. If al else fails...call Dr. Picallo.

Eat...enjoy!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,222 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good street food?

I eat the street food often all over Mexico. I have never taken anything and never a problem. I think its like many things, you get a sense of where to eat and where not.

And , good point about new bacteria. I think it has little to do with Mexico. When I was living in the USA, my friends, a Cozumel family, visited me every summer. Always, one or two of them got sick in the USA.

Mentioned in this post
Mexico
Mexico
North America
United States
United States
North America
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
364 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good street food?

We love Diegos on the corner near the airport. Diego has a little outdoor kitchen with a dining area covered by a blue tarp. His tortas and fish tacos are to-die-for. We were introduced to him when we stayed at Castita de Maya. I am drooling just thinking about his yummy food!