We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sunset in Cozumel

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Topic
sunset in Cozumel

Where is the best place to grab a drink and watch the sunset?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sunset in Cozumel

There are dozens of nice places. Where are you staying? Or are you just there for the day? In no particular order: Club Cozumel Caribe, Love Cafe, Blue Angel Restaurant, La Hach, Money Bar, Playa Corona and more points south.

Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sunset in Cozumel

If you have a vehichle, I would suggest hopping in and cruising to the 'other side' of the island, the one without all the hotels and such, sit on the beach with a bottle of wine, wonderful1

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: sunset in Cozumel

staying in PDC and thinking of taking the ferry over to Coz one day and either renting a car or hiring a driver for the day to see the sights.

What bars/restaurants/beaches do you suggest we check out? We'd like to do a little snorkeling at some point, hang out on the beach, and listen to some live music if possible. I've heard Money Bar has live music and decent food. Any other suggestions? Something closer to ferry probably better. Also curious as to when the last ferry for the day leaves and if anyone has recommendations for where to rent a car for the day on Coz.

Thanks!

Tennessee Ridge...
Level Contributor
293 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sunset in Cozumel

Money bar sits right on the water. Nothing in the way to enjoy the view of the sunset. We went three time and enjoyed the food. Happy hour is no big deal. They bring both at the same time and the second melts before you can get to it and they are more 1 drink divided by 2. Will say they have the cleanest bathrooms of anyplace we went on the island.

Level Contributor
77 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sunset in Cozumel

I would reccomend renting a vehichle for the day. I always like to get a jeep, just because I usually drive a car and to have the wind in my hair on the island is a brilliant feeling. There is a hertz, rental i believe its hertz, but at any rate, its very easy to find, just off the peir across the street. You can call ahead and someone may even meet you there. Any of the beaches are going to be good, you just hop in your car and start driving, of course, to snorkel, you want to be on pier side, as the other side has the waves coming in an d the water is not as calm and clear. There is a Cenote tour out of playa del car..that offers 3 cenote snorkels and I reccomend it, especially the cave cenote, the most beautiful thing ever, but its on pdc, not cozumel...and it includes lunch, but its a full day..but well worth it.

Otherwise, I'd approach Cozumel as a relax, go where the wind takes you kind of day. This island offers so much beauty, just grab a map and go...

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sunset in Cozumel

Mr. S.- all of the places I named have good snorkeling, views, and drinks.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,577 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sunset in Cozumel

In regards to driving to the far (East side) of the island to watch a sunset, there are a couple of problems with this :

1. I assume you want to cface the ocean and watcht eh sunset. On the East side, you are facing the wrong way. When you face the beach/ocean, the sunset will be BEHIND you.

2. Correct me if I am wrong, but this time of the year, I don't think you CAN drive to the East side of the island in the evening, anyway. The authorities have the roads to the East side closed an hour or so before sunset.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sunset in Cozumel

Mr S - this is a list of live music for Cozumel, please note that venues and bands/music change frequently, so it would be wise to confirm once you have picked a day to come to CZM

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150809-c106670/Cozum…

If you should decide to rent a car for the day, given you are coming on the ferry, I would suggest Isis. Just a short walk from the ferry. Margarita is very reputable. She has mostly manual, somewhat worn, VW bugs but that just adds to the charm. Always get full insurance and hers has a deductible of like $400 or something. (p.s., don't even think about a scooter)

http://www.islacozumel.net/services/isis/

So if you do rent a car, I would suggest you come over to the island fairly early in the morning. Margarita can direct you how to get to the east side via the transversal. You can stop and go as you wish making the circle around the island, then come back from the south, hit Money Bar or La Palapita or La Hach or Tikila...for sunset. Then go return your car (make sure you find out exactly when Isis closes), and you could meander around downtown for a bite to eat before taking a late ferry back to PDC. I don't know exactly when the last one is, that too, changes during different seasons, but around 9pm or 10pm maybe. Someone else will know for sure.

Enjoy la isla, anticipate developing an addiction!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,666 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sunset in Cozumel

Eno is correct. The turtles have started laying eggs and they have started putting up the barricades at the transversal road at the end of the day. We saw several unmarked nests near the Playa San Martin and Chemul beach areas.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sunset in Cozumel

Spent a day last week a Buccano's at Club Cozumel Caribe -- great food, cold beer, good snorkeling with the exception of some guys feeding fish to create a photo op...Out at the ropes, there's a seagrass bed where we spotted a group of hunting barracuda. Lots of fish in the debris piles & coral heads within the swim area. Further north -- between Playa Azul and the ruins of the Sol Cabanas, we found a chain moray (rare), lots of juvenile angelfish and a friendly & cute juvenile queen triggerfish sheltering in a cracked-up float on Sol Cabanas former, and still anchored, swim rope. (If you go that far north, instead of swimming against the current for a long way, it's best to go back to Playa Azul's sandy area, exit the water & walk back to Buccano's. (Is this a review?!)

For sunset, my friends & I like to go to Money Bar, order 2x1, and take our cups into the water to wade & cool off as the sun sinks. The colors are usually gorgeous.

Wherever you go, you should carry insect repellent. After the recent rains, the mosquitoes & sand fleas have become numerous, big & aggressive.