We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do not use Less- Pay!!!

Oriental, North...
Level Contributor
3 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Do not use Less- Pay!!!

We just got back from CZM. I rented a Jeep from them based on their website ad which stated $30/day including insurance. The ad even stated to print it out to ensure that price-which I did. The Jeep was delivered with standing water in it, seats that never dried, seatbelts that were so rusted it was a Houdini act each stop to get out and icing on the cake, the top ripped off during a rain storm.

When I checked out, I was charged $60/day which included additional required insurance and other fees. I showed them the ad which they refused to honor. They also tacked on 7% for using a credit card. I am a well seasoned traveler and was caught off guard by such a blatant in your face scam. I had no recourse but to pay as we were leaving, but then I am sure they count on this. I contacted the owners to no avail. Shocker, I know!

What a pack of crooks.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do not use Less- Pay!!!

First...let me say, I'm sorry you had problems during your stay. No one should have that kind of stress on holiday.

This should never have happened and I hope you file an official complaint.

Having said that....we make a habit of returning our rental car a day ahead of our departure from any city -- just in case there is a problem. You are right, many places count on your needing to catch a plane in order to perpetrate their scam. We like to have time to call them out if need be.

Second -- If I have a web price or a coupon or anything that will define the price of my rental, I make the agent read it and INITIAL or sign my coupon at the time we take the car. That way they can't say they didn't see it or know about it or agree to honor it. If they refuse, I know to expect a problem.

Third -- I take photos of the car RIGHT IN FRONT of the agent at the time we rent. That way there is no "you put this dent in the car" scam to come later.

The plan is to let them know that as a renter you've got your eye on them. I think these scams are targeted at the easiest mark. If you let them know right up front -- that is not you, they may just move on. Its not right....but it is what it is and YOU might as well be in charge of the game.

Good luck!

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do not use Less- Pay!!!

And forth that is why I use ISIS so none of this nonsense happens when I turn a car in.Just my opinion as I have used many other rental companies on the island in the past.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do not use Less- Pay!!!

A serarch of this site will turn up many many good comments about Isis.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do not use Less- Pay!!!

Well....ISIS....of course, that goes without saying for Cozumel. No one better than Margarita. However, there are times when I must travel to places that do not know the advantages of the "Margarita Way" of doing business.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do not use Less- Pay!!!

And.....just wondering.....what does ISIS stand for?

International Sisterhood of Incredible Service?

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do not use Less- Pay!!!

Eh, we've used them plenty of times with no problem and actually really good service, from being met at the airport to car swaps at the hotel to rides 'home' after dropping the vehicle off. The cars are crappy...but really no crappier than the one we got from Isis, to be honest. They also go over the contract with you when you're picking up the vehicle (which is when you show them the ad, BEFORE you sign anything), and they tell you up front that there's an extra charge for credit cards (and that's not uncommon with car rentals in general).

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,713 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do not use Less- Pay!!!

I never thought of that. Should ask Margarita. If it does stand for what Queenie said, Margarita should be President of the organization!

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do not use Less- Pay!!!

I just assumed it was the goddess...?

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do not use Less- Pay!!!

When I use ISIS I don't have to worry about going over any contract as I know Margarita is going to treat me right. Have never had to show her my ad and she does not charge extra for using a credit card.It took me little while to use her but once I have I would never use anyone else unless they were giving me a car for free to use and then maybe not even then.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do not use Less- Pay!!!

If it seems to good to be true usually is. I researched and even talked to several rentalcompanies. The great internet price suckers u in-then price tripled. Only place that held to internet price was isis-20dollars a day for scooters-margarita rocks-two weeks i will see her again.