We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tricitaxis

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,648 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Tricitaxis

I had never really known the name but thats the name used for the tricycles used in an article in today El Semanario to describe these vehicles you can hire at the pier to transport your luggage at the passenger ferry pier. According to the article, the normal rate at the ferry pier is 30 pesos and can range from 100 to 200 pesos for transferring large amounts to the interior of the island. According to the article, their are 24 of these and they are members of a union. They also are available at the cruise piers but no set fee there--they work for tips.

The article is in spanish but I put the link because I found the photos interesting. These guys can handle much cargo!

elsemanariodecozumel.com/contenido/se-mantie…

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tricitaxis

Union AGAIN?! That figures. And what is the advantage of these darling tricycolo guys belonging to a union? I guess just that they are allowed to work the ferry pier.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
797 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tricitaxis

Wow !!! Everyone must belong to a Union in Mexico... Maybe we should start a Union for "Gringos who live in Mexico" I would think it would be a much larger than the "Tricyclo Guys" Union. haha

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,566 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tricitaxis

My local friend calls them tricicletas. Not a high speed vehicle. I took one for a spin in the the square late one night. Doesn't handle well going fast. Well at least no one was maimed or wounded.

Another union? I'm thinking of starting a tourist union...or at least an adult beverage union. Pay your dues to me and I will assure you the money will be well spent representing my own partisan interests......

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,648 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tricitaxis

I think most every job has a union. When you drive around town you see the union hall, fiesta halls for many different groups that you wouldnt think are represented by unions. Dave , I will vote for you as the first president or steward of the gringos union. Of course , we likey wont have much power since we cant vote for mayor.

Do you think these guys have the power to shut down things at the piers like the taxi union can do at the airport?

Edited: 05 June 2012, 00:10
ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tricitaxis

The goal of recent publicity about the tricileros (which is what I call them) is that there is very little demand for them at the ferry pier and they are earning very little. Most income is from transporting cargo (the 100-200 peso jobs) and people who are unable to walk to the taxi stand on their own (the 30 peso work.) Therefore, they question their futures but have decided to stay at the ferry pier for the time being.

And, yes, unionization is the standard for Mexico's labor culture. Not all have the political clout of Cozumel taxistas -- actually none others do. For example, when there are too many people and too few jobs -- as is usually the case -- union membership is one way to control the number of people eligible to work a specific job.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,648 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tricitaxis

I dont know what the goal was but its good to see them get the publicity. I dont see them used as often in Cozumel but more often in Playa. I sometimes use them there because if I am very close missing the ferry when arriving at ADO, they can get me and my bag to the pier in record time. I have often wondered how well they have done at cruise piers since I have seen people write the service is free there. I always hope these people are tipping well.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tricitaxis

At last an official name! Of course it'll still need to be explained. I love hiring those-it's part of my Playa experience.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,009 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tricitaxis

We used a Triciclero years ago to haul our new refrigerator from the Elektra downtown to our condo behind the Ched. We walked along with him and took fun photos along the way.

That fridge is still working great...I hope the triciclero is too!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tricitaxis

As a visitor I get off the bus and find a guy. Load my small amount of luggage then walk beside. On the way to hotel I like to run into the tequila store for my room bottle, somthing to give me help in a quick unpack :) He watches my stuff and gets a tip, a water/soda and talks with his acquaintenances while he waits the few minutes.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,648 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tricitaxis

I have even used one from the other ADO terminal in Playa to the ferry when no taxi was available, which is often the case. I put my suitcase on and sit on the little plank seat and off we go. It has usually been the same guy and I think he actually gets me to the ferry faster than a taxi because he takes me right to the ticket booth and then the ferry. No walking.