We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Airlines

Gilford, New...
Level Contributor
170 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
American Airlines

Are folks still booking AA even though they are going bankrupt? I want to book for September 6-16 but I am worried I will have no flight to take when the time comes

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,668 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Airlines

I just flew to maine from Dallas on AA without any problems, and my upcoming July Coz trip is also booked with them.

However, someone posted here earlier that AA cancelled their flight this fal, there is also a followup thread stating that they re-booked with another airline.

Both threads might be worth reading, if you are planning on going down there later this summer/fall :

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k547491…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k548005…

Hope this helped. Good luck to you.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,673 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Airlines

Typically airline "bankruptcy" is a way to modify contracts to reduce their costs. It does not mean that the airline goes away.

Cutting flights can happen but it happens independent of being in "bankruptcy."

If you are concerned, then fly another airline. That does not preclude flight cancellations either.

Texas
Level Contributor
533 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: American Airlines

We have now made two trips to Mexico during AA's bankruptcy.

I have noticed no changes to the attitudes of the flight attendants. They are still as snarly as ever so don't worry. (LOL).

The gate agents and check-in folks are as wonderful as they have always been. Very helpful and respectful.

North America
Level Contributor
616 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: American Airlines

Here is an article that appeared in a recent edition of "TravelMole" re: American Airlines and their current situation:

http://www.travelmole.com/news_feature.php?m_id=s~_rnT_~An&w_id=7932&news_id=2001871

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
643 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Airlines

Just whatever you book with them, watch the flights like a hawk. They are doing lots of schedule adjustments it seems and canceling/moving flights around.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,900 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Airlines

AA is not "in bankruptcy"! They are doing a Chapter 11 reorganization which allows them to throw out all the contracts they have with their unions and start over again! Many airlines are now cutting out flights so whenever you book a flight with ANY airline you should keep checking the res to see if they make any changes! They don't always notify you about them in a timely manner.

ft worth
Level Contributor
977 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American Airlines

I agree with Riff...We are leaving next week (hooray) They changed our departure flight schedule. which is fine because we now leave 45 minutes earlier..but they never contacted us on this change..I just was curios if our flight was full and was checking on it when I noticed the time change.

Bridgeport, Texas
Level Contributor
72 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American Airlines

I am booked for August. No worries. Flew in Aptil and the changed departure time. I was notified by e-mail, but will be watching as well

Sheridan, Arkansas
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American Airlines

Riff is right. I happened to be checking our reservations one day and saw that our flight times had been changed to a flight two hours earlier. We weren't notified about the change until about a month later, and it was our booking agent that notified us.

The reservations are through AA and I'm going to be checking them a couple times a week, just because I'm paranoid about it now.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
853 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American Airlines

I had flight changes with AA for years if I booked far enough in advance so I don't think that is something that is just happening now because of their reorganization. Flew with them in Dec to Cancun to get the Cozumel after they filed and had no problems and they were by far the cheapest at that time and I booked three weeks out.