We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Avoid united- bring on SW.

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Avoid united- bring on SW.

Got into houston last night from cozumel and have never seen a more disorganized company in my life. Flights were being cancelled left and right due to the weather, but nothing can do about that. But the disorganization and rude employees make it even worse. They kept us at airport till midnite before cancelling our flights. They would tell you to got to customer service and after standing in line for two hours you find out the person at the gate told you wrong adn go stand in another line. The boards were never updated and the very rude employees had no clue of what to do. I will do evertything I can to avoid Untied in the future,

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Avoid united- bring on SW.

Sorry that happened to you. The reality is almost every airline has people who tell the same horror stories.

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Avoid united- bring on SW.

Sorry to hear about your experience. Unfortunately I have to agree with Jeanh; this is the reality of travel. Don't expect any better from SW; they don't even assign seats.

usa
Level Contributor
346 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Avoid united- bring on SW.

+1 to that

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
623 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Avoid united- bring on SW.

Been watching that new show on SW Airlines "On the Fly" - it's nice to see an airline with employees who actually give a crap and try their hardest to make good out of bad situations.

Def bring on SWA to the tropics and the world!

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Avoid united- bring on SW.

We have had Continental treat us in the same sh#tty way. "On the Fly" is TV...so it's exactly what you'd expect to see on a show of that nature. Every airline has nice employees and mean employees. Air travel is always a roll of the dice.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Avoid united- bring on SW.

Weather days at the airport are dis-organized due to diversions, crews going illegal, planes in other cities etc. You got caught in one of them. I heard it was a bad storm that passed through. I do not think that it was all United fault that a Storm which probably closed the airport and disrupted service. No one ever gets on here and says the sky was bright, and we made our connection and the flight was on time. SW is not going to operate till after 2015. Once they start flying Internationally, they we be just like all the rest. Hope your flight back is better.

Edited: 20 June 2012, 18:12
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,515 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Avoid united- bring on SW.

" I can remember when travel used to be FUN!"

-I overheard this while waiting for a delayed flight at Logan recently. Yeah, things have changed a lot in air travel the last few years. My air travel mantra: " We will get there whenever we get there, and not necessarily when we are scheduled to get there..." lol

"crews going illegal,"

-I am unfamiliar with this term, Can you please elaborate?

For my upcoming trip, I had choice of a nonstop 10 am AA flight from DFW to COZ, w/ a nonstop late afternoon return to DFW , OR a 6 am United with a 2+ hour layover someplace here in the states going out, and an OVERNIGHT LAYOVER coming back and would cost a good bit MORE than the direct AA flight ! A no-brainer ....

Have flown sw many times to different places, no prob.

When SW starts flying to Coz, the addition of another airline may help lower the ridiculous cost of airfare that the others are currently charging to there. Competition is a good thing, IMHO.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,040 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Avoid united- bring on SW.

I think the "crews going illegal" refers to crews working longer hours than they are allowed to. I once had a corporate trip where we chartered a flight--we got stuck in Augusta, GA by tornadoes back home in Chicago. The crew was from Chicago and they wanted to go home too, so they "went illegal" and got us home. Otherwise we would have been stuck there overnight. Our guests were unaware of this and complained about the "lousy service" that resulted in a delay of a few hours. But in reality, only a crew willing to work longer hours got us home at all.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
623 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Avoid united- bring on SW.

Of all the airlines I have ever flown though, SWA is by a far margin the best.......best employees and always try to help you out as far as they can.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,012 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Avoid united- bring on SW.

The FAA requires that flight crews can only operate for so many hours per day to avoid fatigue. So, during the end of a scheduled day for a flight crew, they might have a flight diverted due to weather. If they exceed the hours they are permitted to fly, the crew must be replaced. This is really difficult for airlines when they have crews scattered all over the place and not where they are supposed to be. Another word would be "Crew Rest"