We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ai or not ai during hurricane season?

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
ai or not ai during hurricane season?

I'm debating whether or not to go with AI during hurricane season. I'm leaning toward non-AI right now cause of cost.

But I'm afraid if a storm/hurricane hits or something that prevents me from being able to dive, I would have had way more fun at an AI resort.

Also, since diving only takes half a day, I'm not exactly sure what to do that second half without an AI.

What do you guys think? Thanks.

Stillwater OK
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ai or not ai during hurricane season?

Go with the a cheap AI like El Coz. or Hotel Cozumel so you can drink heavily and not worry about it. You might get food poisoning but you can blame it on the liquor.

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ai or not ai during hurricane season?

I think you need to explore options. the idea that an AI is more fun is absurd.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ai or not ai during hurricane season?

Well, heavy drinking doesn't mix well with diving. Were a hurricane to head our way, you'd likely be asked to leave the island days before dive boats are pulled and the port is closed. Choose the hotel that appeals to you most and buy trip insurance.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,280 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ai or not ai during hurricane season?

If a Hurricane is headed this way, it wont matter if you are at an AI or not. I got a big bag of Animal Crackers after Wilma in 2005 from the local govt.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ai or not ai during hurricane season?

I stay at hotel cozumel where I feel the AI is cheap enough and edible enough to be worth it. I like having breakfasts and lunch at resort then go into town for dinners sometimes. It's just nice to not have to buy a drink everytime you want one. I understand some of the more expensive AI's you may want to eat all meals there. Don't worry about hurricanes enjoy-

Cozumel
Level Contributor
60 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: ai or not ai during hurricane season?

maybe just go to a hotel near your house and watch a lot of videos of cozumel thjen you wont have to worry about a hurricane and the savings should be great. I dont understand why people come to cozumel and ride transportation to an AI spend a week and takea taxi back to the airport. Stay in a hotel downtown explore the Island an eat at one of many good places

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ai or not ai during hurricane season?

Because some people just want beach, ocean, resort food, relaxation and diving and that's it. I understand it but we don't stay AI.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
7,706 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ai or not ai during hurricane season?

Second half of day:

Swimming, snorkeling, beach-laying, lounges, restaurants, sightseeing, museums, shopping, walking around, visit ruins.

Kansas City...
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: ai or not ai during hurricane season?

the other allure of AI's is just a crowd of people to interact with .... its just doesnt seem to happen as much outside of AIs... that being said, I cant imagine staying at the resort 24/7...

United States
Level Contributor
783 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: ai or not ai during hurricane season?

Thanks everyone. I didn't realize how ridiculous I was being until I read your posts. I don't have hurricanes where I live nor have I ever stayed at an AI before so am clueless.

Me and my travel companions are actually people that like activity/excitement every second of the day and don't drink much. I think I'm probably not an AI person by your guys description.

I'm still not 100% sure what we should do in the afternoon/evenings though after diving. Thought with an AI we could watch a show or something, maybe kayak. We aren't shoppers, museum people, beach-layers, into ruins, nor do we want to rent a car.