We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Lifeguards

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Lifeguards

To me , this is a good news, bad news story. The island has begun the summer lifeguard program for the public beaches. The bad news is it is reported they have only 10 for the island. According to media reports, this leaves 4 of public beaches with no lifeguard coverage. These people always do their best to protect the public but they have a difficult job and its reported they receive little or no training and 8000 pesos per month salary.

Do be careful. The east side beaches are beautiful but can be dangerous for swimming.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Lifeguards

The problem now is the seasonality of the work. The national center for aquatic rescue training is at Cozumel's Red Cross and it turns out a lot of lifeguards. But the course isn't given year round and it's lengthy and difficult. Most lifeguards accept full-time positions after they receive certification. The city's in a jam to find trained people who are available & willing to work part time. The publicity was a good idea & should bring in more workers.

Edited: 05 July 2012, 14:04
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,103 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Lifeguards

Good information, as always. I can understand why the lifeguards would seek full time positions after undergoing the training . I hope, as you said, the publicity brings in more of the needed workers. I see the Red Cross will continue its good work with setting up in the Chen Rio area for the summer.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,772 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Lifeguards

This is sort of an odd story.

I've seen lifeguards at stations at all three of my trips this year. Most of the time they sit in the cabana booth built for them. So I wonder what is different now than would be in other seasons.

One of my local Mexican FB friends just posted a pic of a beach that was nearly empty with a comment to the effect you could tell it was summer and "low season" as the beach was nearly empty.

The east side beaches are so long it is doubtful that any area could be fully covered. When the lifeguards ride their ATVs down the beach, we have always received a friendly nod or wave.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,772 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Lifeguards

Thanks for the explanation Deb. I was a lifeguard many years ago. There is a lot of training that has to occur. An interesting aspect of life guard training is how to rescue someone without the victim also making the rescuer a victim.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Lifeguards

The summer season covers the period when schools are closed, so that's what they're talking about here -- local beachgoers vs. tourism.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Lifeguards

I have only swam on east side a couple times because currents and undertows worry me sometimes and it seems to be pretty rough sometimes. I do notice alot of locals swimming so it's good to know there may be lifeguards close by anyway. In my numerous times around the island i can't remember seeing lifeguards, but i will look for them in sept.

7. Re: Beach Lifeguards

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2013, 10:17