We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise Traffic Down

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise Traffic Down

The trend has continued down the last seven years since Hurricane Wilma . June figures show this year 50 ships vs 64 for June 2011. This may be somewhat offset by larger ships but figures show passenger count down 22 percent. This has a huge impact on the local economy since it also means the number of crew members visiting the island is down. These people spend a substantial amount in local restaurants, bars and shops. One restaurant owner told me the loss of crew member business has been felt more strongly than passenger loss.

What makes little sense to me is that with the downward trend , the government is moving ahead with plans for another cruise pier.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise Traffic Down

I would think that passenger count is down 22% do to economy in US.

Large percentage of cruise passengers are retirees on fix income and are from US. The policy of Federal Reserve to keep interest rate down for such a extended period of time did not help economy, but took out 800 billions+ dollars out these people hands. Nobody talks about that, but it really hurts travel business, because one part of their retirement was to travel. And since the Fed has no intentions to raise interest rates, this situation will only get worst IMO.

Edited: 08 July 2012, 23:58
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,734 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise Traffic Down

Good news.....airline traffic up 21% for June of this year.

asur.com.mx/asur/…trafico_pasajeros.asp

4.5% for the year.

"And now for the rest of the story..."

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise Traffic Down

Thats good. If only the airline passengers came in numbers like the cruise passengers, I would be great for the local economy.

Sig, I am sure you are correct. Good information.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,734 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise Traffic Down

I agree.

My local Mexican friends tell me the airline passengers provide work for the cabbies, hotels, restaurants, dive ops and beach bars. At an average arrival rate of 1500 passengers a day, this might add up to a peso or two. And who knows, maybe more than all the entertainers on the ships that are permitted to leave the ships and end up at the No Name Bar at the Barracuda? That though, is just speculation.

My guess is the airline passengers stay for more than a couple of hours. But I could be wrong.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cruise Traffic Down

Airline passenger traffic might me up, but people especially from US taking shorter vacations and they are tha majority of tourists to Riviera Maya area.

When few years ago the standard stay for US citizen was 7 nights, the average is 3-4 nights and spend less money locally. And most of these tourists stay at all inclusive resorts, that is why many non-all inclusive either are turning into all inclusive or being sold. While the tourists from Canada are a factor, it a minor one and they also like to stay in all inclusive resorts. Also while there was increase of tourists from Europe, I think do to a economies in Europe this is only short term gains. Any country which has 3rd of the economy depending on tourism will suffer and Mexico is not immune.

Edited: 09 July 2012, 11:46
sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cruise Traffic Down

I meant 5th of the economy in Mexico depends on tourism.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,804 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cruise Traffic Down

You are correct, sig. While the cruise passengers dont spend much per person, the volume is a boost to the local economy when the volume is down, the local small merchants in the center suffer. Unfortunately, as you said, the trend is to shorter vacations in the AIs which is of some help to the local merchants but not nearly so great as it used to be. Many of the small business owners I know are really struggling to meet expenses. Of course, its not exclusive to Cozumel but to all the area.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cruise Traffic Down

Robert,

I have been reading postings by people going to Riviera Maya and many of them are looking to save on transportation, liqour, gifts,etc..., so yes business owners must be struggling. I would even go as far and say even the chain all inclusives are struggling too, there would not be so many 'managers' suddenly popping up and posting here. It is what is and until the global recession ends we are in for real tough ride.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cruise Traffic Down

Sig:

"While the tourists from Canada are a factor, it 's a minor one......"

1.6 million Canadians travelled to Mexico last year. Canadians are second, only to the U.S. in number of international visitors to Mexico. The number of Canadians expected to visit Mexico is expected to continue to climb. This number has more than doubled since 2005.

Source - Mexico Tourism Board.

Just suggesting that the "Canada factor" isn't a minor one.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,498 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cruise Traffic Down

DolpninWhisperer

'1.6 million Canadians travelled to Mexico last year', while sounds impressive according Mexico Tourism Board there were 50 million tourists visiting Mexico if you take that source. And while Canadian economy is doing better than US and so are the banks there is a real estate bubble brewing similar to US especially in major cities like for example Toronto and Vancouver. This will affect Canadians as it did affect US, Spain, Ireland and even China. Canada is part of the world economy, most of the 'stuff' they sell is for export and global slowdown will not bypass Canada, IMO.

Edited: 09 July 2012, 14:19