We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How safe is Cozumel now?

Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
How safe is Cozumel now?

To go or not to go? Is Cozumel safe, all that info you hear on the news?

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How safe is Cozumel now?

you dont hear any info on the news RE: coz so yes its safe

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How safe is Cozumel now?

Safe compared to what? Dallas is one of the murder capitals in the US. Eight people shot in downtown OKC After thunder game. This is such an old question. Yes don't go to border towns but I feel safe in coz. Open your local paper cyclegirl and tell me how safe it is in your hometown.. yes do not get drunk and walk down a dark alley at nite, but i wouldn't do that in OKC either. Info on the news? I'd like to see it. Thats like saying don't go to USA because Someone got mugged in New york city. mexico is a big place. Do research on this topic.

Edited: 09 July 2012, 16:09
Mentioned in this post
Dallas
Dallas
Texas
United States
United States
North America
Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: How safe is Cozumel now?

I'm guessing that it's as safe as my last trip back in November.

Burleson, TX
Level Contributor
1,635 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How safe is Cozumel now?

If you're lookin' for trouble, you can find it. If you're not, you won't.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How safe is Cozumel now?

Silly, uninformed comment regarding the news OP. In the Top Questions box to the right there is a safety topic. You just need to be aware of petty theft and time share sharks and that's it. Please visit Cozumel...it'll be the time of your life.

Santa Maria...
Level Contributor
36 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How safe is Cozumel now?

I have always found Cozumel to be safe, will be back on July 19. the violence you hear of is mainly on the US border though there is spillage elsewhere, some I have heard of in Cancun, but Cozumel has been fine. A large number of the people who live ion the island are expats from the US or Europe

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Texas
Level Contributor
403 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How safe is Cozumel now?

Like my husband says, if you aren't looking to buy drugs, sell drugs or do drugs, you are good. We just got back from 7 nights and it was perfect and I felt safe the whole time. It is just like being at home.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How safe is Cozumel now?

I agree it is like being at home, but remember you are still in mexico and do not have rights like you do here. Be safe.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
24 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How safe is Cozumel now?

About the only thing you see if the Mexican Air Force flying the channel between the mainland and Coz. The managers at the resport told me they are looking for drug running subs but no, you will not see violence.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,184 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How safe is Cozumel now?

¨About the only thing you see if the Mexican Air Force flying the channel between the mainland and Coz¨

Thats true and you often see aircrsft flying in fomation out of the Cozumel airport. These are training flights for the military.

Good thing is, Cozumel doesnt have many dark alleys, ha ha. Like any place, neighborhoods I wouldnt walk alone at night but in general, very safe.

The entire Yucatan peninsula is considered one of Mexicox safest places with the Yucatan state being the best. Amazes me the city of Merida, with over a million population is very safe. Its one of the most popular areas for American and Canadian retirees.

Mentioned in this post
Merida
Merida
Yucatan, Mexico