We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to rent a car for the day?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is it safe to rent a car for the day?

my husband and I are wondering if it is safe to rent a car for the day or should we just hire a driver to take us around? Any thoughts on it?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to rent a car for the day?

The only reason it would not be safe was if you are drinking alcohol. Gee people...just get out there and enjoy the island if it is your desire. Cozumel is not Laredo. Cozumel is not Juarez. Cozumel is not Acapulco or Cuernavaca or Nogales....or Matamoros or Mazatlan or Morelia or even Cancun...etc.etc.etc. I live in Texas...3 miles from Acuna and I spend every day happy and not worried. Do I go over there...uh...no.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to rent a car for the day?

Is it hard to find parking around downtown, or on the east side ?

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to rent a car for the day?

Not hard to find parking on the east side but Sundays are the busiest day over there as thats when many locals go.Downtown is sometimes a little harder to find parking during the day but I never have a problem because I know where to go.There are parking lots that you pay for though.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to rent a car for the day?

Not hard to find parking in town just be careful and watch where you park-tow zones and pay to park-etc. East side no problem with parking... Drive to east side during day and then into town in evening after cruisers leave. Also read up on who to rent from . I rent scooters from isis-margarita at isis gives you straight up price with insurance included, she is also a well respected local and helps to have her in case something happens. If you look up renting cars online be careful-the price can triple when insurance is added. i say rent one def.

New York
Level Contributor
198 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to rent a car for the day?

YES, YES, YES definitely rent a car & it IS safe. The first yr we went to Cozumel we spent the entire week at the resort afraid to venture out. Every yr now we rent for the entire 2 weeks & have a ton of fun exploring. Cozumel is a beautiful island, go enjoy & just use common sense as you would any place else.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
37 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to rent a car for the day?

Thank you for all your help, I think we are going to rent a car now at least for a day or two.

Aurora, IN
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to rent a car for the day?

The answer is, Yes. That is one of the fun things about going to Cozumel.

You can find a place to park in town, it just may take you a little time....but, you are on vacation. The drive around the island is one of the must things to do.

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it safe to rent a car for the day?

Regarding parking in town - during the day, use the lots that you pay to park in, look for "estacionamiento publico". If parking at night, the lots close at various times and your car may be locked in overnight soooo, I usually just park in the streets, after 7pm (I think that's the time) you can park most anywhere except the red zone (where it is painted red on the curb). I usually hit Ave. 10 or 15 just to be safe. Not that far of a walk to square. Note: as you leave your car, take note of the Ave and Calle you are on :) Easy to forget where you parked even with no alcohol intake.

Other parking options I sometimes use are; Mega in their covered parking area and behind Punta Langosta mall.

No matter where you are driving on the island, be a very defensive driver. Oh and if traveling on the "new" road south of town and you want to cross the "old" road, be aware that YOU must stop. Those traveling the "old" road have the right of way.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it safe to rent a car for the day?

That is some excellent parking advise. That's what I meant when I said I know where to park. Couldn't have said it better.I have never used the paid parking places though but just walk farther back and just walk in sometimes.

Taunton...
Level Contributor
878 posts
297 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it safe to rent a car for the day?

We just rented for 4 days, and didnt have any real issues driving around --other then the fact that I had not driven a standard in 10+ years, but its like riding a bike, never had problems with parlking, a few times when we were going to dinner or for s nack, I'd just ask the restaurant staff if I was ok or not... and they would tell me ok or move your car--and where to go...

West side, no issues anywhere, we went beach club to beach club without issue. Gas fill-up no problem $15.00 was like a half tank of gas...