We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

day trip to tulum

Cincinnati, Ohio
9 posts
Save Topic
day trip to tulum

My family has just spent one glorious week in Cozumel and want to visit Tulum tomorrow- Here's our plan...

Take the 7:00 a.m. ferry to PDC and catch a colectivo to Tulum.

Spend the morning visiting the ruins and beach.

Eat lunch, and head back on the colectivo, stopping at a cenote or akumel for some snorkeling.

Dinner in PDC and late Ferry back to Cozumel.

Is this reasonable?

Will getting the colectivo to stop at a cenote be difficult? A cenote stop sounds really appealing to everyone (there are 6 of us - hence the colectivo rather than a car).My teenaged kids are already grumbling about lugging around our snorkel gear, but I like the idea that we can be relatively spontaneous about where we stop.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated...

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: day trip to tulum

Sounds doable to me. You should have plenty of time to do most everything. The colectivo will stop wherever you want.It will be a long day but sounds fun.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,893 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: day trip to tulum

Easy to do. You can also catch the ADO bus to Tulum.

BTW, they can snorkel and swim at the ruins so they could get two events in the water.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,089 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: day trip to tulum

The ADO bus is much less hassle. Fast and cheap.

Cincinnati, Ohio
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: day trip to tulum

thanks for the quick responses-

do we catch the ADO at the same place as the colectivo?

any particular cenotes recommended?

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: day trip to tulum

No, you catch the ADO bus at the bus terminal which is two blocks from the ferry pier.

Trail, Canada
Level Contributor
3,679 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: day trip to tulum

I believe the colectivo station is vey near the Ado station in PDC . If the next Ado bus is leaving soon that's a good option otherwise in your jammed packed day the colectivo may proove faster . There are some wonderful food carts very near the Ado station to pass the time . Watch for Cenotes Azul and Cristalino , 70 pesos each , just past Puerto Aventuras heading south to Tulum , right hand side . They are both short walks in from the highway . Do the ruins first . You can swim to cool off but the snorkelling is not very satisfying below the ruins or exit the ruins and walk a fairly short distance to beach clubs nearby , Zazil Kin is very basic but very close to the ruins . With 6 people I would suggest that you take two cabs from the ruins beach road exit or the beach club to the colectivo terminal in Tulum , the town itself . This cab ride saves you walking or tramming back to the highway for a colectivo and TIME and should allow you to all get on the same colectivo which will be a problem to consider at your next two stops . If you are hungry at this point there are many inexpensive food options near the terminal , noteably El Camello just a few blocks south on the highway for very inexpensive , plentiful seafood . If you can wait to eat there are many eating options in Akumal , your next stop . Stay at Akumal long enough to save an hour for Azul or Cristalino cenotes on your way back to PDC . You will very likely have to take two colectivo's with the size of yor group on these last two legs or wait a while for one with enough space . This will likely be even more difficult later in the afternoon when workers are heading home . Something to plan for . You may be better off all cabbing from the ruins beach to the Grand Cenote near Tulum and having the cabs wait or arrange a pick up in an hour or an hour and a half before heading to Akumal to minimize large group colectivo issues late in the day. There are cabs at all these place and often vans as well with the exception of the cenotes . Cheers and good luck . They are all good choices .

7. Re: day trip to tulum

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2013, 05:17