We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American airlines

Chicago
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
American airlines

American Airlines has done it again. Our trip to Cozumel is not till Oct 17th but this is the 2nd time they have changed my flight,. We are leaving on a Wednesday and they just changed it to leaving on Tuesday and just leaving us to fend for outselves in Miami till the next morning when we leave for Cozumel!!! Who did they think was

gonna pay for a hotel room or did they think we would spend the night in the airport?

I called Book It and got a different flight on Wednesday. Is it AA or is it Book It or both???

I will never use either one again....Think twice before using

American Airlines.....

I cant believe an airlines can do this to folks..I have traveled

for over 20 yrs and never experienced this......

Millersburg, Ohio
Level Contributor
518 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American airlines

This would be very frustrating to me. I just had the opposite experience with Frontier for a trip to California this September. I received an email that my flight had changed and asking me to review the change. Then I was asked to click if it was acceptable! Since one leg of the flight only changed by less than an hour, it was fine. I thought this is the way airlines should do business. I don't know what would have happened if it was more of a delay an not acceptable but hope they would have been accomdating.

new jersey
Level Contributor
714 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: American airlines

Ugh, sorry to hear this. I have read a few situations with AA. Just not right. What if someone could not change their travel dates? (i.e. babysitter, work, etc.) Can you cancel with book it without getting robbed? If they are not willing to put up up in a place, I would fight for that. Good luck and I hope it all works out for you!

Jefferson, Texas
Level Contributor
262 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: American airlines

That is horrible. I have seen some really good airfare from DFW on AA, but just from the posts I have read recently, I will not chance it. Good luck!

Fresno, California
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American airlines

We will be flying in a couple weeks with AA and this is not the first I've heard of this. Unfortunately AA is the only option from our airport.

Edited: 18 July 2012, 02:49
Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American airlines

Just double checked our AA travels for next week that we bought thru Orbitz...all is fine...so far. You can sign up for Orbitz travel updates or changes if they occur...hope that works. I'll keep checking.

Edited: 18 July 2012, 02:59
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,467 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American airlines

AA is notorious for those kinds of changes especially when flying through their Miami hub. It's one of the reasons I am taking a break from going to the Caribbean islands as it's just too difficult to get to them and AA has the market wrapped up for the most part. If I could tell you all the changes AA has forced on me over the past 10 years it would make your blood boil. I'm looking forward to flying Frontier this trip. Bye bye AA.

Mentioned in this post
Caribbean
Caribbean
North America
The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: American airlines

AA did this to me too for our September trip - only it was cancelled for our trip home and the only substitute being offered was to leave a day earlier or two days later. Since I used Expedia, I think this is an AA issue not the travel site. However, when I asked about the 2 days later they said it would cost an additional $500, but yet NO refund if I left a day earlier. When I asked what the $500 was for they said the hotel. Well - being that I have stayed at this hotel I told them - I can get a WEEK at this hotel for $500 - so don't give me that ! I cancelled all of it - went to Book it and got a better deal but having to go through Cancun and take Mayair over for the days I want. Unfortunately, still with AA because like it was said - fastest - cheapest option out of DFW area - AA has Dallasites by the nads !

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Gilford, New...
Level Contributor
170 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: American airlines

I am flying AA 9/9, Boston to Dallas to Coz, flying back on 9/23. In really hope that doesn't happen. Or at least I hope the airline accommodates us. I booked direct through AA. Good Luck everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Boston
Boston
Massachusetts
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: American airlines

Call American and have them route you to Cancun on the way there on your original date. Return via Cozumel.

From Cancun, either take the bus and ferry to Cozumel or Mayair

tinyurl.com/7m3r6

mayair.com.mx

Edited: 19 July 2012, 00:52
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
954 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: American airlines

Happens all the time. Continental paied for our stay in Newark once after they changed our flight to the following day. You have to ask for the accommodation.

So far since I booked with Delta in March, they have changed planes, flight numbers and times at least 4 times. This is four a trip in Nov so booking ahead does have it's pitfalls. The last change left us with a 30 minute layover in Atlanta so I called and said it was not acceptable and they changes us to an earlier flight out of Cleveland.

All you have to do is ask, and be nice about it.

Mentioned in this post
Atlanta
Atlanta
Georgia