We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta sur ecological park

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Punta sur ecological park

I am kinda embarassed to say with all my trips to rastas at punta sur until recently I didn't realize there was an eco park there. I definitely want to check it out in sept. I saw they have tours, which i'm sure cost, but can you explore on your own? Robert got me wanting to see the crocs with his post.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,031 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta sur ecological park

We didn't do tours or anything organized, but there's a "croc zone" on the right as you drive in toward the lighthouse. You'll see a small observation tower there. We just pulled over and got a few good shots.

Look for this (OK, my wife won't be standing there):

…photobucket.com/albums/…Cozakumisla501.jpg

Which puts you this close:

…photobucket.com/albums/…Cozakumisla509.jpg

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta sur ecological park

Unless I'm mistaken, there used to be guided tours (on a flatbed truck) but that's no longer the case.

It used to be that you parked at the lighthouse and got on board the flatbed truck that stopped at the crocodile lookout area and then stopped at the beach. Now, you drive your own vehicle to the beach.

My last visit to Punta Sur was two years ago. Maybe they've started the tours again but I doubt it.

houston
Level Contributor
78 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta sur ecological park

My girlfriend and I were there a month ago and we did everything on our own. We stopped at the lookout point, saw one croc swimming away but that was it. Then drove down to the lighthouse and checked the awesome views and got a little harrassed by the vendors then drove down to the beach. It's alot of bumpy driving but it's worth it. The beach there is top 3 on the island in my opinion.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta sur ecological park

Great thanks for info. definitely gonna check it out.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
868 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta sur ecological park

Must visit. I go every time, it was always reasonably priced. Maybe it's a small fee now that they don't have the tour. The area is wonderful for bird sightings, too. The climb to the top of the lighthouse is a tour in itself (the climb down even more so) but the views up there - breathtaking. And the beach there, perfect. It would be the ideal beach for small children. You can snorkel there as well (but you have to swimm pretty far out to the reef). I look forward to returning again in the fall.

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
851 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta sur ecological park

I liked it best before it was a park. Then you really felt like you were in the middle of nowhere.

7. Re: Punta sur ecological park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2013, 05:15