We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family safety on Cozumel?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boston, MA
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Family safety on Cozumel?

Violence in Mexico continues to be in the news and I'm wondering if this has spilled over into Cozumel? We visited Cozumel about 15 years ago & would like to return with our children. Would love to hear from families who have recently traveled there. Thank you!

Davie, Florida
Level Contributor
11,187 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family safety on Cozumel?

dont think you could have heard about violence against tourists on coz as there has been little to none.

oz
Level Contributor
4,450 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family safety on Cozumel?

I go there once or twice a year and as of last year it was safe. I will be returning in 55 days and i'm not expecting any trouble. I do not just stay at the hotel either I go into town daily . I feel Cozumel is safer than Cancun and a whole love safer than the city that I live near. Go and have a great vacation.

North America
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family safety on Cozumel?

You may want to review the topic on the the right -" Is Cozumel Safe?" to give you a good and fair assessment of that issue. I have been coming to the island continuously for 18 years, and it is one of the safest vacation destinations around. Like anywhere, use common sense and good judgement. There have been several news articles that also detail the safety aspect of the Yucatan compared to other areas in Mexico.

Ruston, LA
Level Contributor
668 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family safety on Cozumel?

We make four to five trips a year here. And for nearly eight years have owned a home here.

We live about a 15-20 minute walk east of the downtown square. Good neighbors, kids playing, people going and coming from work. Hear a few sirens here and there but mainly ambulances going to a wreck.

Use common sense and put your stuff in the trunk of your vehicle. Keep your purse under your arm or across your chest to prevent any type of problem.

We just had friends down and they went all over the island without the first incident. There is a strong military and police presence on Cozumel. Yes the island is safe.

Edited: 29 July 2012, 14:54
Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
304 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Family safety on Cozumel?

We feel safer in Cozumel than here in Austin. Use common sense but don't hesitate to walk the neighborhoods away from the beachfront. Some of the best places on the island are "in the hood!".

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
Level Contributor
42,028 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Family safety on Cozumel?

check out this article http://www.artdecosuites.com/tag/safety/

Cancun and this whole area has a homicide rate no higher than Belgium

Much safer than the recent crime explosion in Chicago.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Family safety on Cozumel?

I have no kids, but I just returned from Cozumel, and usually go at east once a year.

As far as I can tell, it is the same place as it has been every other time I have visited for the last 20 years: Enduring, safe, and peaceful.

I have never felt unsafe in Coz, but then I live in Dallas....lol

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,031 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Family safety on Cozumel?

Like anyplace, it has changed in the 30 plus years when I first visited. But as moonriver says, if you use common sense and good judgement, its very safe. She has reason to know an occasional problem occurs.

But President Calderon is on the island now, bike riding with his sons so the President thinks its safe enough. But he does travel with a little extra security.

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Family safety on Cozumel?

Keatamax-We brought our boys there, for the first time, in 2008 and subsequent times since then. We feel totally safe and at home on the island. We all practice the exact same safety precautions as we would do in any rural or metropolitan city in the US.

What would you NOT do in Boston? Do the same on the island and you will be just fine.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Family safety on Cozumel?

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you all for taking time to share your experiences!