We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how long too stay

Bella Vista...
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Topic
how long too stay

My husband and I are planning a trip. We are going to stay 2 weeks. Is this too long? Is there enough to do? He also has the idea to stay at czm one week and cun one week. So we would need to bag-drag. Please advise,

North America
Level Contributor
616 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: how long too stay

When I first started coming down to Cozumel, it was in the early 1990's - and that was way before many of the great restaurants, grocery stores, beach clubs, etc.There weren't even any traffic lights. My first two trips were only a week each time. Then 2 weeks, then 3. Then twice a year, to 3 times a year. Last trip was 3 months. That should tell you what you need to know!

Tennessee Ridge...
Level Contributor
297 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how long too stay

1st trip 10 days, 2nd 13 days - both at an AI. Last year 15 days, this year 17 day, and next year booked for 20 days. All these at a condo. I dive in the mornings and she worships the sun. Clean up and then to town or the east side. We like taking it easy in a quiet place. To be honest we are not ones that look to go clubing at night.

Lincoln, Nebraska
Level Contributor
283 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how long too stay

bag drag yuck u lose at least 1 day, look at the posts trips started at 5 days and now go up to 10 15 or 20, some cozaholics have been going every year some up to 25 in a row, we started at 5 but now go twice a year for a 10 day trip and a 7 day trip. this will be our 8th trip and havnt touched the places to eat or explore im looking at this underground river does anyone have any info

Presho, South Dakota
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how long too stay

Our first trip we wondered if we could stay in one place for 7 days. Like the others, each year we stretch it a little more. (8-9 nights)

Next year we will probably stay for 2 weeks. Airfare is so expensive, it makes sense.

The only problem we have discovered is that It is sad when our new friends start going home.

Different people have different expectations of a vacation. We are rest & relax vacationers. Do a little diving, snorkeling, read, visit, eat & drink.

If you are more active vacationers, you may want to split your time. There are lots of trips to do on the mainland - Chichen Itza, Tulum, Xcaret, zip lining etc.

Have fun!

MinneSNOWta
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: how long too stay

I relish my two week Fall trip to the island...can't wait! Wish hubby wanted to be there too for two weeks but a week is all he can handle (actually 5 days and he's ready to head out). I just settle in after 3 days so a week is not nearly enough and 2 weeks will likely become, not enough also.

There are plenty of things to do, on the island or on the mainland to occupy your time...it's all about what YOU want to do or NOT do.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: how long too stay

I love my two week vacations on the island - but if you think there won't be enough to keep you occupied - I would mix it with a week in Akumal vs Cancun...... You would be closer to cenotes and ruins there. When we stay a week on the mainland we do all sorts of activities so that when I get to Cozumel the most I want to do is go from beach to beach....

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how long too stay

Our first trip is this November and we are booked for 16 days, that give us time to get to the mainland and see the ruins, etc. As well enough time to see the lovely Cozumel from top to bottom. Oh and lots of time on the beach!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,844 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: how long too stay

Last year I was on the island for approximately 55 days over a number of trips. Still didn't get to do all the things I wanted to do.

Depending on the time of year, why not spend 10 or so days in Cozumel and 2-3 nights in Isla Mujeres and do the whale shark tour? Do Isla last and then you have an easy ride to the airport in Cancun

New York
Level Contributor
198 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: how long too stay

One week is never long enough, 2 weeks is great...longer would even be better. We have been going for 7 yrs & still find new things to do or see. And as mentioned, with the price of airfare, it only makes sense to stay a bit longer.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: how long too stay

I think purchasing a one-way flight (and not a return ticket, ever) would be the ideal period of time on Cozumel!