We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any news about Fiesta Americana?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mays Landing, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Any news about Fiesta Americana?

Wondering if Fiesta Americana is still up for sale? Reluctant to book at the hotel, although we have stayed there three times and enjoyed our stay each time. Would hate to book it and it be sold.

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Any news about Fiesta Americana?

We just got back (great trip by the way) and they are apparently shutting down for major renovations starting May 1, 2013, and might be closed as long as a year. Heard this from a few guests (one added they thought the hotel was bought by a Canadian company or investor group, but haven't been able to confirm), from a few staff, and from a bunch of corporate looking guys with lots of cameras and lots of suits wandering around and discussing demolition and so on. That last tip seemed most authentic. One of the guys with a camera in a suit (and I must tell you, a suit really stands out like a sore thumb - a hot sore thumb in a hotel like this), estimated demolition and remodel/rebuild lasing a year. I just hope they manage to bring back the same staff. And that that they leave the open airy feeling with the breezes running everywhere you turn in the place. Great location, so I hope they get the remodel right - I'd really love to go back.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
573 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any news about Fiesta Americana?

The full on remodel of the Park Royal did wonders, and a lot of their loooong time staff returned (Okie Dokie etc). I can't wait to see what they do with the FA, such a great location with a lot of potential! It wasn't a "bad" hotel, but it definitely needed this. I am excited!

Virginia Beach...
Level Contributor
197 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any news about Fiesta Americana?

Just visited there three weeks ago. There were multiple rumors that we heard when we quizzed the staff at the time and they were close to what you provided Marie. Only differences I heard were that they were going to be closed from May to early December, opening back up for bookings for Christmas/New Years. I was told - could not confirm - that the sale actually happened about 12-18 months ago and it was this new owner that was doing the renovations. We were told they were starting with the tropical casitas, then moving to the other wings of the hotel. They were also planning to add one or two more restaurants on the property and potentially one more pool. We will see what happens.

They were trying to find work for the staff at other hotels, but some may need to work in PDC or Cancun during the interim. Not easy if they need to commute from Coz and stay over there for days at a time. I wish them all well. We have made several friends amongst the staff there and hope that we find them back there after the renovations are done. A lot of the staff have been there for many years and getting displaced for six months are longer will be difficult.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,206 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any news about Fiesta Americana?

Interesting. I think the sale will likely mean improvements for the hotel since the current chain had financial problems and was putting little money into its properties.

It can be a problem for staff. If they lose a job on the mainland much easier to commute to a new job. Almost no one can afford to commute from Cozumel with the high ferry costs.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,206 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any news about Fiesta Americana?

Todays Por Esto newspaper has an article about the hotel. It says 120 workers will be laid off for about 10 months during renovation. Also, this quote translated from Spanish, ¨the leaders of the Union of Workers in the Hotel Industry, Gastronomy and related ..... are encouraging workers to wait for completion of the renovation of the hotel to be rehired¨. That may easier said than done if the workers have families to support. Seems like double talk , to me.

The article also says the hotel has been losing 2 to 3 million pesos per month.

www.poresto.net/ver_nota.php…

Edited: 17 April 2013, 12:54
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
4,866 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any news about Fiesta Americana?

One of my friends who is a Chef there is getting his pink slip next week...

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
573 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any news about Fiesta Americana?

Sucks for the layoffs, but will be good in the end!

Myrtle Beach, South...
Level Contributor
854 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any news about Fiesta Americana?

i'm thinking its only good for us gringos

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any news about Fiesta Americana?

But us gringos have lots and lots of choices for places to stay. The employees at FA don't have lots of choices for places to find work.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,206 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any news about Fiesta Americana?

Agree, froglegs. Well said. No shortage of options for us but a real shortage of good employment options for locals.