We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Birthday Dinner

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
417 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Birthday Dinner

We are going to be in Coz for my birthday (9/5), and I am starting to think about where I want to go for dinner. So far, I have narrowed it down to Kondesa or Kinta. I know that they are owned by the same person, but which would be a better choice for a birthday dinner? Kondesa does not have a website, so I don't know what their menu looks like. Could someone please offer some advice/input, or if there is a better option out there, I am open to suggestions. We are primarily looking for a restaurant with good seafood and margaritas. Thank you! :)

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Birthday Dinner

There's nothing better than dining by the water...

www.blueangelresort.com/restaurant/

IMO La Cocay beats Kondessa or Kinta.

www.lacocay.com

Tough choices...you'll have a marvelous time no matter where you dine...it's COZUMEL.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,201 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Birthday Dinner

Between Kinta and Kondesa, I prefer Kinta. My son prefers Kondesa. My wife alternated between them the last time she was on the island for 2 months and preferred whichever one she was dining in at the time.

Kondesa is "more Mexican" in that the food is supposedly based more on typical Mexican dishes such as quesadillas and enchiladas.

You won't go wrong with either.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,004 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Birthday Dinner

Good choices. But I agree with froglegs, I prefer La Cocay.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
417 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Birthday Dinner

Wow - there are so many choices!!! I wish we were going to be there for longer than a week. I have a feeling we are going to end up eating at a few of these places during our week's stay. I have read tons of good reviews about La Cocay. It looks like a great restaurant. What is your favorite thing on their menu? Thank you for the input!

Southeastern...
Level Contributor
858 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Birthday Dinner

I prefer Kinta and Kondesa over La Cocay for some reason.La Cocay has never really floated my boat and I have been there several times.Always thought it was over priced for what you got.I like Kondesa over Kinta for some reason but they are both really good.Those two are my fav's.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
373 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Birthday Dinner

I agree with froglegs...BLUE ANGEL! The ambiance and the view cannot be beat. You definitely won't be disappointed and if you go Sun-Wed you will enjoy listening to Abraham. BA has a Facebook page...send Eva a PM and I am sure she will make your night special!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,004 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Birthday Dinner

Mesquita, so many things I like at La Cocay. I have always liked their pastas such as fettuccine with shrimp. The owner , Kathy, has one of the longest running upscale restaurants on the island. I am not always a fan of the Fodors travel guides but he got it right in awarding La Cocay the Fodors Choice award for the past two years.

Of course, many good choices on the island. But everyone has a favorite.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
417 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Birthday Dinner

I was checking out La Cocay's menu and their pasta dishes sound really good and their prices are extremely reasonable in my opinion. It looks like we will be dining at Kondesa or Kinta in addition to La Cocay. I would like to try out a few different places. Should we check out Guido's as well? We can get really good Italian food in Chicago, so I am trying to figure out if it's worth it.

Blue Angel sounds interesting, too. I read that they have happy hour from 5 pm until 6:30. It looks like a nice laid back place to dine.

We are huge fans of La Conchita del Caribe and Pescaderia San Carlos (and I think they both close kind of early), so we will go to those places for lunch.

michigan
Level Contributor
501 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Birthday Dinner

here's a pic of our fav light refreshments that we enjoyed after a walk from Papirika's on our way to the Hotel Cozumel, I might add they were included in the happy hour, buy 1 get one free, 8 bucks for the 4 drinks can't be bad and also the mags were def on the strong side to my surprise.

…photobucket.com/albums/…

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
417 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Birthday Dinner

Thank you for sharing your pic! $8 for 4 drinks is such a bargain! Those margs look awesome! We're definitely going to check out Blue Angel.

I can't find them on Facebook. Can someone please assist? Thanks!