We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tips

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,293 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
Tips

While I am often annoyed by some wanting tips, I think some in Mexico may be overlooked because they are not something we are accustomed to giving. Two examples.

I know friends often tell me they didnt know they were supposed to tip the kids or senior citizens who bag the groceries . I always give something but if they give me a smile and thank you, I give more the next time. Another person who is sometimes overlooked are the ones who help you in and out of your parking place. At times, they are not really needed but at least they are trying to do something to support themselves so I tip them.

I read an good quote today from Colin Powells new book that I liked, ¨You look out the window and see another human being who has the same kinds of dreams and anxieties and fears and hopes you have. By smiling and saying ‘good morning’ and ‘how are you,’ you bond with that individual and say you’ll help that person. I assure you that parking attendant will smile back, which says ‘I’m going to help you, too.’” (now I want to read the book ¨It Worked for Me¨ by Gen. Powell)

Tennessee Ridge...
Level Contributor
293 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tips

Well said. Could not agree more.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tips

There was this darling little old Mayan man that did nothing but sweep up at Casa Del Mar for 8 to 10 hours a day. He worked the pool area and "beach" area. He always greeted me each day and we talked. My last evening we really talked about what Cozumel meant to me and to him. I gave him a big tip and we told each other "Vaya Con Dios". He was an asset to the hotel.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,293 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tips

I see so many people like that , froglegs. They work long hours with little pay but never seem to complain. I always make it a point to say good morning to people like the man who sweeps the street. He seems to appreciate it much. When I have caught him near the mini market, I have bought him a coke. I thought Gen. Powell summed it up so well in what he said.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
373 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tips

I never thought to top the parking lot guys! Thanks for pointing that out.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tips

We have been known to tip the gardners...which seems wierd or excessive or silly...but I'm a big plant and grounds person...and it's nice to make folks smile or surprise them. Of course nobody HAS to tip anybody. But I lived off tips for more than 25 years...so....ya know.

Edited: 12 August 2012, 22:59
North America
Level Contributor
615 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tips

Good information and reminder, Robert. I often do my shopping in the mornings at Soriana and they tend to have older adults there packing the groceries during that time and I have a few fave packers at Chedraui as well. They are very courteous and do an excellent job, and it is a pleasure to tip them and they truly appreciate the gratuity. I tip the guys to watch my bike and I have never had to worry about damage or theft. I don't stay at resorts, but I always tip the maid and the house manager, as they are what make our stay pleasant and hassle free. I have seen the same fellow sweeping the road and sidewalk area where I stay for years. There was a garbage basket near the front of the house with stuff scattered on the ground, and I pointed it out to him, so he swept it all up and wrapped it for proper disposal. I didn't have much change on me at the time, but tipped him a few pesos that day, and then every few days if I happened to see him, and he made a point of keeping the area spotless, because it seems people would walk by constantly and "miss" the garbage basket. These guys seem to work 7 days a week.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,293 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tips

MR, talking about tipping the favorite grocery baggers, reminds me of my favorite at Mega. She is a very polite girl always greets me with a smile and a thank you. I think I tip her too well since she always makes sure I see which lane she is working. Before Christmas, she bagged my groceries and I put 100 pesos in her hand. She looked at it and quickly put it in her pocket but I never saw so much smiling.

Really, my Mexican friends tell me its a very desirable job for many. On a busy day, they likely make more in tips than many who do hard labor all day.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tips

I always try to tip the guys in the parking lot at the chedruai - they put cardboard on my scooter seat to keep it from heating up-lol

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tips

Lazy Mexicans.

I hear about them all the time. Not sure I've seen any, though.

The ones I see work seemingly constantly. Our maid crawls up inside closets to dust the top shelves. I watch guys demolish cinderblock construction using sledgehammers for endless hours. Then there are the tricicleros at the ferry and elsewhere. Kids come home from school and go to work. The gleaming school and sports uniforms didn't get spotless by themselves, either. Entire families pitch in with the family business. We've met with our lawyer early in the morning and late at night.

Any time I hear about lazy Mexicans it's from someone who wouldn't be able to survive a week in Mexico without money from somewhere else.

My 20- or 50-peso tip for some small service takes me a tiny time to earn and there's practically nothing I can do in that amount of time at work that will impact someone's life as much.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,293 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tips

I agree. My best friend has lived all his life on the island. He is both a teacher and in the tour business. He leaves home before 8 and comes home at about 2, eats, has a little siesta (only 30 minutes, as he likes to say), returns to work and often gets home 8 or 9 at night. He does take a siesta but works much more than most of my American friends. And, I should add, thats 6 days per week.

Edited: 13 August 2012, 19:23