We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Proposed New Cruise Pier

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,497 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Proposed New Cruise Pier

According to todays El Semanario, this project in the north of the island, now has an approved environmental impact statement and can start construction at any time. But so far, no interest from anyone in building it. I would hope it stays that way. Not really sure why its needed with the other three rarely at capacity now.

elsemanariodecozumel.com/contenido/inter-amp…

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Proposed New Cruise Pier

It hardly seems to make sense even to be considering building another cruise pier.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,497 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Proposed New Cruise Pier

Thats Mexico, I suppose, no sense. I think the same. Local government seems to only know one thing, cruise ships.

North America
Level Contributor
621 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Proposed New Cruise Pier

Agree. A new cruise pier is not going to help and can't see how or why this is necessary or needed, Why not look at ways at attracting additional visitors to the island for vacations - at least that could assist with a more sustainable boost to the local economy. I have spoken with many who have arrived in Cozumel via cruise ship- while it is true that some do return for a few days, most said they spend very little in terms of shopping, food, etc., as opposed to a few years ago when times were better.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,497 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Proposed New Cruise Pier

Exactly, MR. Local officials often complain about how little cruise passengers spend. So their solution is bring more? In my opinion , people actually staying on the island, would bring a much bigger boost.

For once, I have to agree with the officials in Playa del Carmen. They have fought against expanding the port at Calica and making a home base to attract more ships to the area. I think they get it.

fort worth
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Proposed New Cruise Pier

Not the North end! no no no no no!

I know I have no vote, but I would hate to see all the related activity for cruisers stuff move in . Yuck.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Proposed New Cruise Pier

What happened, stimulus money made to Mexico too? Just kidding.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Proposed New Cruise Pier

What the island is missing is a suitable "secure" dock to park private larger ships. Gates, Allen, wealthy Russians and a couple of shieks have brought their boats down and most have anchored just north of the ferry pier.

With a suitable dock, I might even bring my dinghy down to the island.

http://tinyurl.com/8nwr2tg

Edited: 22 August 2012, 00:48
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,497 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Proposed New Cruise Pier

The island does need that for larger yachts. I had thought they were working on such but now I dont know. In this case,for the 4th pier, they are seeking interested cruise lines. It is said they have been contacted by several but nothing firm from anyone. It appears all the studies are finished and all approvals to build it are in place. They only need the money.

louisiana
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Proposed New Cruise Pier

I am not totally against the growth of cruise ships to czm . My wife and I cruised for 4 or 5 year in the late 70's and early 80's . We were looking for destinations that we would want to spend more time investigating and enjoying for a week or more. We fell in love with St. Maartin and for 15 to 20 years we went there twice a year with the hopes of having a house there one day . When the European Union went to the Euro ( instead of the French Franc and the Dutch Gelder ), it ended that that dream ! It just became way too expensive !

I started diving in 1998 and was going to czm 3 to 4 times a year ( not only was it more affordable but I fell in love with the island and the people ). We have had a house there for about 6 years now.

Having said all this, the cruises can be good from my perspective. It just seems to me that the Gov't officials have gone All In on cruise ships. IMHO, it is the divers that provide the most economic benefit for the island and the locals.

I just wish that they would funnel some of that investment into the airlines or charter flights.

I would love to see the taxis full at 10 p.m. and have to wait to get in the better restuarants at nite !

Wishfull thinking I know !

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Proposed New Cruise Pier

Ah, but you can never be too rich, too thin, have too many jewelry stores and build them and they will come mentality. The massive public outcry against the building of Puerta Maya, the second pier, now owned by Carnival next door to Paradise Reef, studies had been completed showing minimal environmental impact from this location. All logic was for building a pier downtown and to the north, not a second one to the south.

Back in the old daze when cruise ship tourism was more compatible with regular and scuba tourism, the era of smaller ships, there was demand for docking space as Cozumel often had 8-10 ships in a day. I think the record number of ships in port I have seen was 14. Now the ships are triple the number of passengers, but fewer in number. Cozumel put all their eggs in one basket and then now notice that their shells are all cracked.

The only plausible justification was if the few small ships sailing could be attracted. The ships with passenger capacity of 150-300 would far outclass the huge cattle boats that graze the island shores. In Key West I lived behind a high rise waterfront condo development, condos averaging about $3 million. Next came a cruise pier directly in front which completely blocked the view of the water. Image the cry of waterfront condo dwellers when a 12 story ship parks in their front yard. They hardly pollute, don't dump sewage too close to shore and the trash the blows off the decks can bring community beach social gatherings to clean the beaches.

Cozumel needs another cruise ship pier like they need more pot holes in the roads.