We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No to Development at Punta Tormentos

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,195 posts
135 reviews
Save Topic
No to Development at Punta Tormentos

The government agency SEMARNAT has been very active in the area recently. First they denied permission for the wind farm and now it is reported they have denied permission for a major development in the Punta Tormentos area. The airstrip was intended as the central part of the development which apparently included a golf course, hotel rooms , a shopping center and housing. Apparently the developers had tried to advance the project while attention was focused on the wind farm.

In my opinion, SEMARNAT is doing good work as of late.

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: No to Development at Punta Tormentos

Where is the Punta Tormentos area?

okc
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No to Development at Punta Tormentos

I know where tormentos reef is , but don't think they will be able to put in airstrip in the water -lol maybe on the adjacent shore.

Edited: 23 August 2012, 13:12
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No to Development at Punta Tormentos

Guess again. The airstrip is already there & hosts the Cozumel Airshow. It is maybe 3 or 4 Kms N of the Sabor (the entrance) and inland from the main road. It has very modern & stylish buildings. I'm waiting for this winter's dates before planning my next trip.

https:/…AirShowCozumel2012

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,195 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No to Development at Punta Tormentos

Yes, as Cicopo says, no problem putting an airstrip there. Its been there for quite awhile. But apparently the developer had big plans for the area. You can see the airstrip very well on Google Earth here:

https://maps.google.com/maps…

okc
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No to Development at Punta Tormentos

i attended the air show there in february just didn't know the name of the place , but it was a cool airshow.

6. Re: No to Development at Punta Tormentos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 August 2012, 14:02
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,195 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No to Development at Punta Tormentos

Oops, sorry, I posted one here in error!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
6,411 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No to Development at Punta Tormentos

I could easily be wrong but I think the owner of Hotel Cozumel has a lot to do with the airport (financially) & I think it's named after him. That's based on things I heard last trip plus some internet research on the airport & Capt Toledo. If I'm able to attend this years show I'll know a lot more because I'll be there for the practice sessions and spend some time with the pilots & crew.

Chicago Illinois
Level Contributor
479 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: No to Development at Punta Tormentos

The air show was awesome , waiting to find out the dates for this years show.Good time and was free admission .Loved the pictures Larry.See ya at the show.

okc
Level Contributor
1,994 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No to Development at Punta Tormentos

I know they all stayed at hotel coz because they were full and had to stay at blue angel .