We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxi Fare Increase

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,537 posts
150 reviews
Save Topic
Taxi Fare Increase

Apparently a 15 % increase has been approved for taxi fares but taxi union leaders want 20 %. Not sure when this might be effective. The island has over 700 taxis and they have been requesting an increase and it looks as if it is finally about to happen.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,506 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

Interesting. Based on comments here, tourists already think taxis are expensive. Just wonder how this will affect tourism, or will be like in NYC people complain, but than get use to it.

Edited: 23 August 2012, 14:49
Mentioned in this post
ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
69 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

Is this an across the board increase for locals and tourists both?

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,138 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

Article in the local Coz press says this will take effect in November. Not a word about a special higher rate for non-locals.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

I think the different rate for locals is an inside joke kind of. I don't doubt they would and do try to charge more for us gringos sometimes they assume we would not know any better-lol

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,537 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

Kind of an inside joke. But I have rarely paid more than the local rate of 20 or 25 pesos. Doubt many tourists have ever paid that. Of course, I am not going to hotels or resorts.

I did once had a driver try but he regretted it. I was in the taxi with a local friend and we were going from the center to her house. I believe he tried 50 pesos. After she finished with him, the fare was 25. Said he thought I waa a tourist from a cruise ship. She asked him if he really thought a passenger from a cruise ship was going to her house!

6. Re: Taxi Fare Increase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2013, 06:16