We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

? for tequila experts

Portsmouth, Ohio
Level Contributor
492 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
? for tequila experts

Went thru a tour at Buccanos beach club (Club caribe) and there was a tequila tour which ended in a tasting ... the two "blended" ones were Blackberry and Soursop ... both were outstanding good but pricey as heck. -- 49.00 bucks a bottle for one... The name of the this family company in english was " Gift from the gods" or something very close to that. So my question , does anyone make a similiar tequila thats not so expensive. ? maybe thats the going rate and I'll just have to pay that much. thanks MD

Tours by Taxi Cozumel
City Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Fishing KayKib
Sightseeing Tours
Del Mar Aquatics
Sightseeing Tours, Gift & Speciality Shops
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ? for tequila experts

If it is blended by the proprietor, probably not.

My opinion is that it is about taste and not price. I've had some expensive tequilas that did not taste good. I've had some less expensive ones I really liked.

Do some tasting at Tequila Town across from Wet Wendy's, Kiss My Cactus on Melgar and Cava Antigua on 5th, south of the square or Cinco Soles on Melgar.

That being said, I like Herradura reposado or anejo for sipping. For mixing el Jimador works just fine.

Tecumseh ON
Level Contributor
10 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ? for tequila experts

We had a blindfolded tequila tasting contest after a recent trip to Coz. Five different choices.......hands down winner.....the homemade tequila from Wet Wendy's don't know if they still let you sample but if they do try it and buy a bottle...1 liter bottle was $15 when we were last there!! TASTES GREAT!!

Illinois
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ? for tequila experts

"That being said, I like Herradura reposado or anejo for sipping. For mixing el Jimador works just fine."

We like both of these for the same reasons. On our last trip, they had a great deal for the El Jimador at the airport. We also picked up several bottles of Controy liquor for making margaritas at home. It's pretty cheap in Mexico and its US equivalent Cointreau costs a small fortune. You can't buy it in the US.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ? for tequila experts

One US equivalent of Controy is Patron Citronge, which used to be Controy in Patron bottles. It's not much cheaper than Cointreau, though. I prefer Controy for margaritas over all other triple secs irrespective of price, so I buy Patron Citronge when the supply I bring back from Cozumel is exhausted.

A company just started importing Controy (as "Controy Pura Vida") to the southwestern US this summer, so it may be possible to find it before long. tequilatown.net/news/…

I'm also a Herradura / el Jimador guy. El Jimador is the best-selling tequila in Mexico and is a second brand of Herradura, so there's a resemblance in style.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
7,082 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ? for tequila experts

Also, in the duty free store, unless it is a Buy 2, Get One Free, the better deal for some tequila is at MEGA. Herradura at the duty free is $2-3 dollars more than it is at MEGA.

I didn't realize Jimador and Herradura were related. Interesting that I like both.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,295 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ? for tequila experts

I only buy liquor (except for Controy) on the island to use there, since in New Hampshire booze is cheaper than in Cozumel anyway. However, I have definitely noticed that the duty free prices are far from bargains and that the prices are always better at local stores. Prices seem to be lowest at Chedraui, San Francisco, then Mega (in that order) for the brands I get.

Mentioned in this post
New Hampshire
New Hampshire
United States
San Francisco
San Francisco
California
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ? for tequila experts

Interesting, on our last trip we looked into buying El Jimador at the Chedraui to bring home. We noticed that it was only 70 proof. This could be why it is cheaper than at the airport where the tequila was 80 proof. We did get the Controy at Chedraui and it was 80 proof and a great deal for around $10 US....a far cry from the $40 for the Patron Citronage at our local beverage mega store.

Sayulita, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,641 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ? for tequila experts

For good tequila i think Herradura is very industrial and the same goes for Don Julio.

Good Tequilas:

1)Xq Gran Reserva(the blue X bottle)

2)El Amo reposado and Anejo

3)Gran Centenario Anejo

4)Tapatio all three(blanco,reposado,anejo

5)Los Tres Tonos blanco and extra Anejo

9. Re: ? for tequila experts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2013, 10:18