We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Long overdue honeymoon trip part 3

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Long overdue honeymoon trip part 3

Our honeymoon in June started in Isla Mujeres. That report can be found here. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150810-i360-k5534…

Next was Tulum and that can be found here. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150813-i155-k5775…

We started in Tulum with a Taxi ride to PDC. The driver dropped us off and along the bag drag down 5th my wife and I needed a bano. Ofcourse we ran into several hawkers along the way. We walked down to the public bano in the square near Johnny Rockets. I needed to find Quicksilver in an attempt to find a replacement for the GoPro camera that died a salty death in Isla Mujeres. We spoke with the same hawker again who showed me on the map where the store was. After dragging our bags north several blocks we decieded that it would be best for my wife to take a break and stay with the bags while I humped it the rest of the way. I finally found the Quicksilver store. I asked if they had the camera and they did have it. I spoke with the salesman about taking a trip to the mall in Cancun to find one. He told me that the PDC store was the only one in the area that actually carried the camera and the Cancun stores call them often to try to get one. The price was about $50usd more than I would have paid at home but we still had one week of vacation left. My wife was really happy to see me carrying a Quicksilver bag down the street. It was time for a celebration. Just so happens she parked her self on a bench right across from a tienda. So a sixer of Pacifico was in order. I was only offered weed one time on my long walk which was less than last year. I did get uncomfortable once on our way to the ferry. There were two men that were following just behind us (and very close to our bags) on our way down 5th. I didnt say anything but just walked into a tourist store. I told my wife why I went in there after they passed. We were offered all kinds of products on the way from store hawkers. Most had a good time with me after I told them we were not interested. One even offered to carry our bags for $10usd.

Finally got to the ferry and got our tickets. Walked back out to the street and a hawker tried to sell us a car rental in Coz. I told him that we already had a car. We talked with him and I mentioned how hot it was. He offered us shade under his tent which was very kind of him. The ferry was probably the fullest that I have ever seen and the ride was the roughest I have ever been on. They were not passing out bags so it must have not been too bad.

We finally arrived in Coz and dragged our bags to Casa Mexicana. We prefer condos but considering what we spent on hotels in Isla Mujeres and Tulum I wanted something cheap. Also we had never stayed in town before so this was a good option. I found a deal online and it was only $54 per night which made up for the previous spendy nights.

Check in was easy and we went to the room. We had an interior room on the third floor. We were the closest room to the elevator on the north side with a balcony overlooking the breakfast area. This room has a great view of the ocean.

We went down to the bar for several cervezas and ran into a couple that were trying to catch up with their cruise due to a filght delay. I gave them a few dinner recommendations while they finally relaxed a bit.

My wife wanted Chi for dinner as she had been dreaming of it since last year. We met the owner a few years ago and he was kind enough to take us on a tour of the island. Last year was our first meal there and we actually met the owners son on the flight down. Anywho we walked over to find Chi is closed on sunday.

We went around the corner to El Foco and had dinner there. We had the Tim and Alligator (pollo) and both were as good as last year. We walked to the square for music, beer, fire dancers and churros. All were as expected.

Monday morning we got up and had a great free breakfast at the hotel. We went back to the room and were trying to decide what to do the rest of the day.

i guess I should mention that last year we rented a condo from Kelly at Cozumel Rocks. I spoke with her on facebook and told her when we would be down and I would love to take a non tourist island tour if she had time. Well I left the conversation as if we ran into each other and she was not busy she would take us around.

So the phone rang. Considering that the phone call the night before was from Dominos I didn't think much of it and picked it up. I answer and hear "Hi Jonathan". At that point I'm trying to think who would even know I'm here. And then I hear "hey this is Kelly". It turns out that with the facebook conversation she agreed to show us around but I never confirmed. I had told her where we were staying and she tracked us down. We agreed on a pick up time and I told her we needed to have some clothes washed. She told me she had a place to take our laundry and she was on the way. We packed a cooler, cameras and the laundry and met her on the street in "the Dodge". The first stop was the laundry. Kelly introduced me to her guy and we agreed on a price delivered back to the hotel. After that we went through the neighborhoods and stopped at a mercado so she could get a sandwich to go. I will have to go through my pics to see what the name was but I know it started with a M. We went to Playa Palancar which we have never been to before. we hung around for a little while and then walked south down the beach to a more secluded area. did a little snorkelling and walked down to a pier that has more conch shells than I have ever seen. It turns out when it was time to leave Kelly had mis placed the keys to "the Dodge". No big deal. We were in a good place to lose keys. Kelly called her boyfriend Ivan to bring a spare. We met Ivan a few years ago on a sunset cruise from El Coz. It was great to meet him again. Alot of folks may not recognize him as he has cut off all of his hair.

Ivan was the hero of the day but it turns out that someone turned Kelly's keys in to the staff. We continued our journey south in "the Dodge". We stopped by one of Kelly's rentals Casa Feliz which is south of town. It is a beautiful rental and has a very good restaurant next door. Kelly took us to one of her east side chill spots. we walked on the beach there were fresh turtle tracks and a nest which we had never seen before. I in turn showed Kelly where the jacuzzi was and I hope that she has been able to enjoy with Ivan. After a long day trip we returned to Casa Mexicana. Being the sweety that Kelly is she didnt want to take anything for the trip but I offered to fill her gas tank which she thankfully accepted.

more later.....

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
Level Contributor
10,415 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Long overdue honeymoon trip part 3

Loving the detail in this Trip Report. After just completing the first Caribbean trip of my life that contained no diving, we are anxious to get back to Coz next year. Thanks for sharing--can't wait for more.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
937 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Long overdue honeymoon trip part 3

This is a great story. Shows how great the people who live in Cozumel are and how much fun a vacation can be without staying within the confines of an all inclusive resort, which I have done too many times.

Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Long overdue honeymoon trip part 3

Awesome report - what did you mean by Jacuzzi?

Pinehurst, North...
Level Contributor
1,152 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Long overdue honeymoon trip part 3

So we hung out around the hotel for a while. Got all cleaned up later in the evening and walked over to Chi. They were open but there was no other customers there. It was really hot when we got there. The waiter did turn on the a/c after we were seated. I guess they have to cut costs any way possible when its this slow. We split the General Tao chicken and the chicken lo mein. Both were great as we expected. Did a little walking around then it was back to the hotel for the night.

Up bright and early Tuesday and went down for breakfast. I had bought a foam cooler at OXXO to keep ice in the room. I took it down and asked Vincente to fill it for me. He did so with no problem each morning. He asked what I was going to do with the cooler when we left so I told him that I would give it to him. AFter breakfast and filling the cooler we decided to walk over to Isis to get a car. Was glad to see Margarita again. We had a blue bug this year. The glove box door even stayed closed while driving. Most of the time anyway.

After picking up the car we started driving north. After reaching the end of the road and discussing what to do we pulled into Buccano's. Paid the entry fee and were flagged into a parking space. The Mananger came out and introduced her self as we were getting our bags out of the car. We grabbed a few chairs near the entrance as it was close to my cooler that was in the car. After sitting there for a few minutes the manager came by and told us there was a vacant palapa if we wanted it. The place was packed with cruise ship people so we were lucky that one was open and took the chairs.

The cruise people came and went all day. A small shower popped up and the beach cleared out pretty quick. Most of the folks left but it wasnt long before there was another round dropped off. Wehad several buckets of beers. There prices are not too bad for a place like this. We had the pollo nachos as a snack and the plate was huge. The whole place was very clean and they had very nice banos. My only complaint is the bill was in USD. I only had pesos and asked the waiter to exchange it. He had to get someone else to change the bill.

We left and rode around a bit before returning to the hotel. If you are staying at Casa Mexicana and had a rental car you have to park behind the mall.

Dinner for this evening was at Casa Denis which is one of my favorites for several reasons. The food has always been good. The people watching from the outside tables is great. The waiters Baltazar and Martin make it a fun experience. I had the Mexican sampler and my wife had the sexy shrimp (just ask for it) . Both were very good as expected.

more later...

5. Re: Long overdue honeymoon trip part 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 December 2013, 10:16
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor