We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

american airlines

Chicago
Level Contributor
49 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
american airlines

Anyone other than me worried about the airlines

cancelling flights to Cancun??????

One thing I liked about Funjet was a direct flight from Chgo

to Cozumel. Now its almost impossible.....

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
1,307 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: american airlines

I emailed my travel agent about this issue (we fly Dallas/Cozumel) and she said she'd never heard any issues with American Airlines.

I'm going to take her word for it - she hasn't steered us wrong before.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: american airlines

Do research to know what other airlines fly there and later flights by AA.

Be at the airport early and ready to call reservations immediately if your flight is canceled (low probability). DO NOT stand in line solely as a way to get on another flight. Open seats may be limited so being first to get those seats is in your best interest.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,565 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: american airlines

I do not understand the post also. Other than normal schedule reductions due to the Low Season by the airlines, I do not see mass cancellations to Cancun.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,494 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: american airlines

Apparently AA cancellations are higher than the norm recently. It does not mean that flights to Cancun have been or will be impacted.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
11,710 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: american airlines

Gailieb...time to get a new travel agent if she hadn't heard about the recent problems with American...just saying!! 11,000 layoff notices went out this week, flights are being cancelled and flights are also being delayed...disgruntled pilots and maintenance personnel...never like to fly with a disgruntled pilot!!

See my warning post...

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150807-i8-k577243…

Edited: 20 September 2012, 22:50
The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: american airlines

The good news is - the amount of cancellations are down today to only 9 and none are to Cancun ! I leave tomorrow so this makes me very happy !

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Orlando, Florida
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: american airlines

I m worried too...have upcoming flight on Dec.24,,,looked online and NOT THERE,,,called AA and said it was changed to 1 hr.earlier,,,I had just rec d a confirmation from the internet agency the day before...

Told we would have been informed...right,,,,good I checked....will continue to monitor this.

I am very concerned about AA right now,,,and really HOPE they don t strike or go completely bankrupt...

Guess I m not the only one...others?????

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
46,310 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: american airlines

It has also been announced that American will be outsourcing some of its aircraft maintenance work to a Hong Kong firm. From what I have read, this will result in the loss of about 1,000 jobs.

Of course, this is common practice among many airlines to outsource maintenance work.

Mentioned in this post
Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,921 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: american airlines

Yes, they are shutting down the facility at Alliance Airport in north Fort Worth and that will be a loss of 1,092 jobs.

The Colony, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
1,749 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: american airlines

I spoke too soon on my previous post. They did cancel my flight...then did a 2 and a half hour delay on the flight I got on. Coincidentally , a man we met that night said they did the exact same thing in that flight number when he came here the week before.