We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Condos for Xmas

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Condos for Xmas

Do any of the condos lower their rates for last minute bookings around the holidays (just to get them rented)? All of the condos that we like are at least $200/night around Xmas. We really cannot afford to spend that much! Any suggestions?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,421 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condos for Xmas

That week and New Year's week are considered the highest of high season

$200 a night for that week is incredibly inexpensive for an oceanfront condo for that week. Most of the newer and more modern condos are double (or more) that amount.

You might be able to find something at that rate at some of the older or smaller condos or maybe a non-oceanfront one. TA has a decent search function by price. At the top left, click on vacation rentals.

A lot of the expenses of owning a condo don't necessarily go down when offering a discounted rate . There are commissions (20-30%), credit card fees (3%), electricity ($100-150/week occupied), maid service ($15-20/day), and consumables like bottled water that stay the same. Then there's wear and tear. Subtract all of those from the nightly rate you expect to pay and you can see why some condo owners are content to let their condos sit "safely" vacant rather than clear a few dollars and risk damage to their homes

To answer your question, yes you can get last minute discounts a couple of weeks before you arrive, but your selection might be limited. However, don't assume that you are doing the owner a "favor" by leasing their condo at the last minute.

When doing your negotiation, it is usually best to talk to the owner directly by phone than work with a separate leasing group as the owner is usually the final decider on accepting the lower rate. (And if the owner books the trip, he usually pays a lower commission to the local property manager that gives him more incentive to reduce the rate.)

One other way to get a better rate is to have another couple go with you. When you do that, the cost per couple drops significantly. And with the newer condos averaging from 2000-2500 square feet, you'll have plenty of room and privacy.

Good luck in your search.

Edited: 23 September 2012, 14:41
Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condos for Xmas

Thank you for your response. Maybe we will check out Residencias condos. I saw some for $150/night for that week. It doesn't necessarily have to be oceanfront. Honestly, we would probably take just about anything...just being in Coz for the holidays is an awesome privilege. :)

Gatineau, Quebec
Level Contributor
685 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Condos for Xmas

Hi Mesquita...

What size of a condo are you looking for?

Where are you looking for?

Thanks Lyne

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
254 posts
230 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condos for Xmas

Well said mslf500. My family occasionally rents our place too, but we prefer to leave it "safely vacant " frequently. Our reasoning is that if what is offered is just breaking even then why would we want the hassle ?

5. Re: Condos for Xmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 September 2012, 02:35
Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condos for Xmas

Joe P - I do not own a condo, therefore, I have no idea what is involved with the expenses. Now that it has been explained, I can see the reasoning for condo owners not wanting to rent their unit out if they are just going to end up breaking even. I wouldn't bother either.

Lake Geneva...
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condos for Xmas

I am well aware that it is spelled Christmas. Thank you for taking the time to hop on this board to offer spelling lessons though!!!

8. Re: Condos for Xmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 10:16