We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline Quiet Zone

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,497 posts
145 reviews
Save Topic
Airline Quiet Zone

While not yet happening with any airlines in this part of the world, this is a concept I hope will catch on.

…usatoday.com/flights/…1

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline Quiet Zone

That might work in Malaysia, but I doubt it will work in US. I can see discrimination lawsuits coming, otherwise lawyers will be out of work.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,497 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline Quiet Zone

Thats true , sig. But a nice thought.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,497 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline Quiet Zone

Thinking more about it,it could likely be done by the Mexican airlines. Few discrimination laws here. (they may be here, but like many things, not enforced) I am always amazed at how specific help wanted ads can be here. They often specify not only male or female but age.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline Quiet Zone

That is the best idea I've heard in years!!

Sorry parents but crying kids make me murderous.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,505 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline Quiet Zone

Help wanted ads with age requirements are big no-no here. But believe me age discrimination is alive and well in US and seldom prosecuted. You must know that we have so many laws but they are never enforced.

Edited: 27 September 2012, 16:33
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,497 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airline Quiet Zone

I know, sig. The only difference is here, they can be obvious about age discrimination. But , of course, it happens everywhere.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Airline Quiet Zone

Age, gender even marital status are all legal to use for employment. Larger companies will often want unmarried males without children so they might be more easily relocated. I forget the polite term used to refer to "good looking girls". Often the word muchacha(o) will be used with I find demeaning for a young person. I remember the miracle worker bank manager that was retired, too old at 44. Politically correct does not translate into Mexican Spanish in the work place.

A quiet zone would be a nice thought. I do feel for mothers that have crying babies, ear decompression hurts. Nothing can be as annoying as an unruly child who is kicking or pulling on your seat. It is one more means to nickle and dime the passengers. Some charge for advanced assigned seating, extra for aisle or window and of course the extra legroom emergency exit row seats.

I love the old movies like from the early 1980s or older when passengers were not packed in like sardines and air travel could be an enjoyable experience. I love the announcement for coach seats, "for your safety and convenience, please use the restrooms twenty rows back at the rear". There are two provided for the 140 passengers. It makes me consider travel by ship, a freighter perhaps, not a cruise ship.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,497 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Airline Quiet Zone

I cant remember the term for good looking girl either, Jerry. But I remember seeing it. The classifieds here can be very descriptive as to what they seek.

And agree, I would welcome the airplane quiet zone but also am sure it would be another revenue producer. But for a long haul, I would likely pay.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Airline Quiet Zone

It is a great idea, but I dont think it should be limited to children. Adults who plan to yack through a 8 hour red-eye flight shouldnt be allowed in the section either. It should be like the Amtrak quiet car - no loud voices at all - regardless of who they come from. I just sat behind a French woman on a flight from Paris, who talked for 8 straight hours....

suitcaseready.com

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,497 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airline Quiet Zone

Agree , evening. Virgin Atlantic has a ¨Snooze Zone¨ but it in the Upper Class section that not many of us can afford.