We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AI Resorts Please help

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
Level Contributor
254 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
AI Resorts Please help

Hi We are thinking of going to Cozumel the end of Jan. We have never been and we do want an AI I think we are looking at the Allegro, Iberostar, Melia, and Occidental Grand> Please give me your opinion on some pros and cons.Thanks in advance Weezie

Littleton, Colorado
Level Contributor
2,211 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AI Resorts Please help

Weezie, we will be at the Allegro at the end of January. We have stayed at the Grand and at the Allegro. We like the feel of the Allegro better. It's smaller and it seems more like a small town atmosphere. The Grand is a bit more "upscale". Both have great staff. The Grand has bigger rooms than the Allegro. We like how close to the beach that the Allegro sits. The Grand sits farther back. Nothing wrong with that though. Both beaches are BEAUTIFUL with easy access in the water. The food in my opinion is about the same. No matter where you stay AI buffet food is, well, buffet food. We have never gone hungry. The Allegro has a great little water park for kids if you have any. No real night life for either resort. We like that it's quiet, however. Sorry, I can't address the other resorts. I just know that you will have a fantastic time no matter where you choose.

Syracuse, Utah
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AI Resorts Please help

We have only stayed at hte Grand, so I can't give you a comparision, but I can tell you it was great!!! The rooms were huge and clean. I think they always had one maid who was assigned to one building all day. We would never come back to a room that wasn't tidy with fresh towels and made up bed.

We were in the first building of rooms, so the walk to the beach was a little far, but things like that don't bug us. The grounds were beautiful and there was always wildlife along the way, so it was actually kind of fun!!

The beach was great!! If you like to snorkel, there is plenty to be had. We did alot in the swimming area. There was even a barracuda that hung out. He was a little spooky but cool to see. The Dive Shop there was awesome too!!

If you have any specific questions, let me know!!

Cozumel
Level Contributor
86 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AI Resorts Please help

One thing that might matter to you is the Melia is the farthest hotel in the north of the island. The others are all pretty close together in the south near most of the dive reefs. None are close to town and you can expect at 15-20$ taxi ride if you want to get to town or the airport. If you have any interest in seeing the island (not just the resort) I recommend renting a car or scooter.

oz
Level Contributor
4,446 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: AI Resorts Please help

The water in front of the Melia is not very pretty, it can get very stirred up and look like a dirty river.

Columbia, Missouri
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: AI Resorts Please help

Iberostar has a very rocky beach, not good for walking into water.There is a pier with steps and sandy there. Rooms are small with no storage except a closet w/small shelves.

We we were there in July and they seemed busy but food is just so so..

One thing that was a big negitive was the beach and loungers were NEVER cleaned the entire week we were there.They did line the loungers up in the evening but never bothered to even dump the sand off them.

We have stayed at Alegro also and liked it better.Beach is way better ,food seemed better but still small rooms

These are the only 2 AI's we;ve stayed at, we had our grandaughter with us. Otherwise we stay close to town and eat out , so many great places.

ps if you dive staying south is much better , you return to resort for SI's.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
53 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AI Resorts Please help

We stayed at the Melia' in July, the beach and water were beautiful the whole week...but I know that can change. Our only negative was the food, just so so, kind of bland. Otherwise it was an amazing experience with the best service we've ever had!!! We had a Paradise suite. My daughter and her friend had a M room, which was huge and beautiful as well. The cab fare to town was $8 each way. I can't speak for the other hotels, haven't had a chance to stay at them yet. Our friends stayed at the Palace and loved it, no beach though, but amazing snorkeling and close to town. Enjoy!

Ontario
Level Contributor
254 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AI Resorts Please help

I would like to thank all who sent me a post we have been to other parts of Mexico for the past 3 trips (group of 6) and have decided to try Jamaica this winter sorry and thanks again

Syracuse, Utah
Level Contributor
219 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: AI Resorts Please help

Jamaica is fun too!! Have a good trip!!!

Ontario
Level Contributor
254 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: AI Resorts Please help

Tks I know we will we always do no matter where we go

10. Re: AI Resorts Please help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2013, 08:19