We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any live mariachi music during the day?

Rio Rancho, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Any live mariachi music during the day?

We will be stopping over in Cozumel for the day on a cruise stop and was wondering if there's any live mariachi music during Fridays in any of the bars/restaurants. It is Mexico after all!

We speak Spanish, so we can dive in a little deeper into the culture more than the average turista.

Thanks for any advice.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any live mariachi music during the day?

Actually seeking the mariachi is not really something I've ever really considered. They are all over the touristy parts of Cozumel at all times of the day.

The two I especially enjoy are Felipe (killer flamenco version of Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd is classic) and Abraham.

You can find Felipe most nights around the zocalo and I think Abraham now plays at one of the hotel restaurants in town (Blue something, I think?).

Edited: 02 October 2012, 13:31
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,741 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any live mariachi music during the day?

I have never seen that much mariachi music around Cozumel or really most areas in the state. Its really not much a part of local culture but it is sometimes found in tourist areas and especially around the cruise piers.

Fort Wayne, Indiana
Level Contributor
164 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any live mariachi music during the day?

Abraham (as mentioned above) is a great musician playing the guitar. His voice sounds somewhat like MICHAEL BUBLE ...plays some oldies and nice slow romantic songs. Great style of Stairway to Heaven....(JUST FYI to above post: I would not call Abraham's style mariachi at all:) We love him and are "Groupies" following him always when we are in Coz.

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,492 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any live mariachi music during the day?

Where is Abraham playing now? Blue Angel?? We saw him at Especias a couple of years ago--beautiful voice on the guy!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,845 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any live mariachi music during the day?

Abraham plays at Blue Angel now. Very nice background music during dinner.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Any live mariachi music during the day?

There are several mariachi bands that exist in Cozumel. Or a whole bunch of musicians that get hired to do shows with different configurations, They all have other day or night jobs. For me, it isn't mariachi without horns, violins and assorted Mexican variations of European instruments. It's not mariachi without the traditional charro outfit, the sombrero, the silver spangles, the whole number.

Depending on when you are coming, Fridays are most often busy cruise ship days and during higher season, the downtown pier gets used more often. All three piers sometimes hire mariachis, but more often Puerta Langosta downtown will have folk dance and mariachi bands. There is/was a Folklore show with Jalisco style dancing that sometimes employed mariachis.

As Robert said, it isn't as big in Cozumel as in some other parts of Mexico. It's expensive or not cheap for a group to properly outfit themselves in matching outfits. The musicians have to be dedicated to the music as they can't make a living year round purely by performances in Cozumel. They do get hired for special occasions, events and tourism promotions. Many hotels and resorts will have a band for their "Mexican Night" during high season.

You might get lucky and see them at your pier. Some ships have hired groups to perform on board, but that's not usual. I have seen performances dozens of times, more often at night, from weddings to the classic serenade. Sorry I don't have a answer, but at least some know what's mariachi.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
44,741 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any live mariachi music during the day?

Thanks for the explanation, Jerry. While some great musicians are mentioned in many of the responses, they are not mariachi.

Saginaw, Texas
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any live mariachi music during the day?

That's it, Desmei!

Blue Angel is where I heard Abraham is playing (per Steve O).

And, yes, I know he's not mariachi, nor is Felipe.

My wife and I are huge Rodrigo and Gabriela fans.

Flamenco rocks!

9. Re: Any live mariachi music during the day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2013, 04:19