We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food for Hubby

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stewartstown...
14 posts
Save Topic
Food for Hubby

Hi everyone.

My Husband and I will be returning to Coz in November and I need some help finding places to eat. Hubby has recently developed a shellfish allergy which really stinks as he loves any kind of shellfish. I know that we pretty much ate seafood most of the time on previous visits. Can anyone reccomend a few places that have a menu extensive enough to provide some good choices for him??

Any help is greatly appreciated!

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food for Hubby

Cafe dennis or el moro, i don't eat much shellfish, but love the pork and chicken.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
14,873 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Food for Hubby

If he has a life threatening allergy, make sure you have a card, written in Spanish, explaining his allergy. Unless, of course, you speak Spanish. And bring epi pens, more than one.

Sometimes cooking utensils go from one skillet to another.....Or a spoon.

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food for Hubby

Sonora Grill, La Mission and Blue Angel.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,576 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food for Hubby

I assume shellfish includes lobster and shrimp. All of the above places sell lobster and shrimp. Is cross contamination an issue?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food for Hubby

How about Del Sur then.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,726 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food for Hubby

Other than area taco place, some of which serve no seafood, it may be difficult to find a place where no danger of cross contamination. I would be more inclined to trust an upscale place like La Cocay. They have seafood but I am sure if you explain to the owner , Kathy, they would take much care.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food for Hubby

How severe an allergy? Is it known what sort of shellfish? How was this established (anaphylaxis at a restaurant vs. skin testing, etc.)?

For a very severe allergy, it's probably best to avoid places that serve shrimp. That will leave you with a fairly large number of options, mostly taquerias. Food allergies that severe are uncommon, but since shellfish allergies are relatively common, it's possible his might be that severe.

For a mild reaction, contamination with minute amounts of an offending food are less likely to be a problem at he may be okay just not ordering things with shrimp in them.

What does his allergist say about just how scrupulous he needs to be?

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food for Hubby

Burger King .. Pizza Hut ... Subway :-)

Stewartstown...
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Food for Hubby

Thanks everyone for your responses. His allergy is not life threatening and cross contamination is not a huge issue. He generally gets a stomach reaction as well as some swelling of this lips. He has only gotten this when he actually eats shrimp, crab, and lobster. I am aware that the swelling is a sign of an allergy and that the allergy can get worse over time so i don't want to push it even thought it seems at this point to be a somewhat minor reaction.

Any place that has a few choices of chicken, beef, or pork should be ok.

10. Re: Food for Hubby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 00:35