We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Coz vs Sabor

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
El Coz vs Sabor

Hi everyone, So these resorts seem similar to me and the price for a package vacation is very close from where I would be leaving from so can anyone tell me which is the better resort? I know this is subjective but does one have better food and drink? Better rooms? Atmosphere? Better snorkeling? Which would you choose and why?

Thanks for the help.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
459 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: El Coz vs Sabor

We were just in your shoes trying to make the exact same decision. We choose El Coz. Mainly because of three reasons: Ocean View Rooms, Proximity to town, and the size (we prefer smaller). We've had friends that have stayed at both. The couple who've been to El Coz loved it. The few who've been to Sabor had been over three different management changes and have said it's been inconsistent. The only real benefit I saw of Sabor over El Coz is a little more varity for dining. We plan to eat out some so that wasn't important to us. Another advantage\disadatvantage depending on your travel dates is the switch over to Sunscape. I don't think i"d care to be there during the change over but could be a killer deal if your travel dates are after the completed change. Good luck!

Iowa
Level Contributor
334 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Coz vs Sabor

the ocean water is so much clear on the El Coz side. haven't stayed at sabor but some friends we met had stayed at both, and said they liked El Coz better. We stayed at El coz..the downside to us was the food and the lack of things to do in the evening around the resort. Also if you stay at the El Coz, ask to stay in the newer sections its a night and day difference of room quality. Good luck on your pick.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Coz vs Sabor

Thanks for the responses, I just read Sunscape is taking over Sabor, does anyone think they will really make the food and experience better at Sabor? Is the snorkeling a lot better at El Coz?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Coz vs Sabor

Yes, the snorkeling is better at El Coz....IMO

Chippewa Falls...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: El Coz vs Sabor

We were at El Coz in January and will be going to Sabor this Saturday. I'll give you my comparison when we return.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
400 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Coz vs Sabor

@ktel62 I look forward to hearing about your trip. We have a vacation planned for January.

Dallas
Level Contributor
4,682 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Coz vs Sabor

Ditto for El Coz. Great snorkeling and beautiful turquoise water.

You can't beat the view from the rooms, it's just spectacular!

Ontario
Level Contributor
5,219 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Coz vs Sabor

I guess it depends what's most important. I think the food is supposed to be MUCH better at Sabor...but the Sabor is a long way from town if you want to walk in/stagger home.

I think that's what it'd come down to for me: do I want to spend most of my time in town, where I can buy decent meals or do I want decent meals in my own hotel.

A cab to town from Sabor is approx. $15-17 one way.

Youngstown, OH
Level Contributor
314 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Coz vs Sabor

I have stayed at both, and as other have mentioned, it's really in what you are looking for. I would pick Sabor hands down though.

The food is better at Sabor. Also, there is more going on at Sabor. Every night they have shows and the entertainment staff is incredible. After the shows they have a party with DJ at the beach bar. Never went to bed before midnight at Sabor. When we stayed at El Coz, there was absolutely nothing going on in the evening after dinner. We were in bed watching TV every night right after dinner.

If you plan to go into town a lot, then choose El Coz.

As for snorkeling, it is slightly better at El Coz. However, if you plan to do snorkeling trips via boat, Sabor has a pier where boats can come pick up up directly. We weren't disappointed with the snorkeling at Sabor though. We saw rays, star fish, barracuda and lots of other colorful fish.

As for the rooms, I actually like Sabor better. I always get an ocean view room and request first floor. I literally walk off my patio into the sand on the beach. We would get chairs right outside our room so it was easy to run back to the bathroom or whatever. At El Coz, if you wanted to go to your room, it was quite a hike back.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
85 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Coz vs Sabor

Thanks for the replies!