We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourism Down

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,829 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Tourism Down

According to a recent article about Cozumel and an interview with Cozumels mayor in the magazine "Alcaldes de Mexico" , or Mayors of Mexico, the mayor says tourism is down 10 percent. I am sure this is no surprise but it is good the mayor is saying it comes from a slowdown in the cruise business and the island is promoting itself as a meeting and convention destination. This would be good since more money would be spent on the island per person than with cruise visitors.

The article also mentions discounts and promotions are made available to ship crew members who often spend as much or more than the passengers from the ships.

I hope the mayor has good luck with his promotions. The island economy needs it.

The Original Salsa and Salsa
Sightseeing Tours, Cooking Classes
Tours Plaza - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Safe Tours Cozumel
Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Archaeology Tours
Cozumel Buggy Mayan Heritage and Snorkel
Sightseeing Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourism Down

Cruise ship traffic may be down, but airline traffic was up 21% in September compared to last year.

Total passengers September, 2012: 15,716 versus 12,955 in September, 2011. (up 21.3% ) While the percentage is high, the total head count is slightly less than 3000

Total passengers during year 2012: 372,072 versus 351,600 in 2011 (up 5.8% )

Source: asur.com.mx/asur/…trafico_pasajeros.asp

One can generally assume these are the vacationers that are on the island for a week or so at a time.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,829 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourism Down

I will take the mayors word for it. He probably knows the facts best. He didnt say air traffic was down. He said tourism is down and the cruise business is largely to blame for the decline in business and revenue.

Since we are into links, here is the article about the mayor and his comments on the subject.

www.alcaldesdemexico.mx/portal2/index.php…

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourism Down

I hate to be a wet blanket, but isn't it because it's low season?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,829 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourism Down

It is low season and its always down now. However, in the article, the mayor is saying down 10 percent over the last year. Really, in the current economic climate, I am surprised its not down more. The good thing is, the mayor is making an effort to address the problem.

Concord, North...
Level Contributor
929 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tourism Down

Thanks Robert & MSLF,

One thing I personally think hurts spending is the vendors themselves. I have been coming to Coz for a while and almost can't bear to go downtown because of the aggressive time share people and shop owners / workers. My last trip in June was a nightmare trying to shop. I understand the need for business but not the rudeness.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tourism Down

I really think it's a blunder that local politicians seem to persist in equating cruise passenger arrivals with tourism. In my opinion, they're not at all the same thing.

Cruise passengers are there for a brief time and tend to stay on or very near Melgar. They might eat a meal, possibly two if they try hard (but never breakfast!). They're much less likely to be repeat customers for businesses.

Travelers arriving by air or ferry tend to stay longer, use hotels and other accommodations, eat out more, and make more use of other local businesses. As we know from threads here, they often form intense loyalties to various local businesses.

I think the cruise business is, overall, probably a good thing for the island. However, I think pinning primary economic plans to that is a serious mistake and that the future lies in slowly weaning the local economy from cruises. Just look at Playa del Carmen, Tulum, etc. No cruise business at all!

Orillia, Canada
Level Contributor
754 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tourism Down

Good and very valid points, Mark S.

Seems like the island continues to market itself (primarily) to the wrong tourist segment, the cruise industry. It seems logical that tourists arriving for a one week stay will spend more than those in port for a single day.

mslf500 & the OP:

I tend to believe stastical evidence (facts) over the opinion of any politician, always but will conced that statistics can be easily swayed, depending on how you want them to be perceived.

cdill:

During my last stay, we went "hotel shopping" for most of the day. We were looking for a cheap but adequate hotel for a future visit, instead of an A.I. After touring 4 or 5 on the fringe of San Miguel, we proceeded "into the core."

After less than ten minutes of being hounded by restaurant staff, souvenier shops and hotels to "come on into my place," we gave up and left and went back to our hotel. We didn't tour the three hotels left on our list. I'm pretty "thick skinned" and I'm far from intimidated by island customs. I've been to Coz more than a few times. It just became too annoying.

The aggressive and constant pitching by business owners could well be enough to "scare" tourists out of the downtown core. It would be fair to suggest that this happens often. People don't spend money in an environment that they deem hostile, for lack of a better word.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tourism Down

Very valid points DW. I am thick skinned but do get very annoyed at pushy people. In town has become almost comical with the shopkeepers and their tactics to try to bring you in. I find in my own experience it is really only that bad between Melgar and Ave 15, then it calms down as you go further back. I am sure they see it as a way to drive business, but I think it tends to drive business away most of the time. I use to say no Gracias all the time, now for the most part I just keep walking and ignore.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tourism Down

I just keep walking or say no thanks-never bothered me i guess. I find it comical sometimes and screw with em saying oh yes ive been waiting to just come to your shop-they usually give me a smile-lol- not much gets under my skin on the island. One of my fav things to do is when you arrive at airport and go thru customs, i always walk thru doors and say " who has a timeshare to sell me"-they don't ever bother me-lol

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tourism Down

I also prefer hard facts over opinion. I doubt most retail and restaurant sales are accurately reported, so I don't think sales figures, if they are collected, are an accurate characterization of tourism impact.

I've never looked for it, but it would seem some agency would track cruise ship passengers at the dock like they do for the airport,

As far as the vendors, I have found that if I walk through town pushing my bike, I get completely ignored, except by the shop keeps that run out and ask if it is for sale.

Another trick someone told me is to walk through town with a folder or folio. You get left alone then as they think you are a local business person.