We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight from cozumel to cancun

San Diego...
1 post
Save Topic
flight from cozumel to cancun

We are flying from Cozumel to cancun and then catching our flight home. How much time do we need at the cancun airport for our connection? Can we get by with one hour in between flights.

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
5,101 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flight from cozumel to cancun

With an Hour connection, No Way, By the time you get to the Ticket counter, the plane will already be boarding up. 2.5 hours is the minimum I would space for the connection. What happens if Mayan Air is 20 or 40 min late?....

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flight from cozumel to cancun

If the next earlier flight (some times three hours apart) is not an option, consider the ferry and ADO bus option:

tinyurl.com/7m3r6

You may also find it beneficial to go to the mainland the night before and stay at a hotel such as the Courtyard:

marriott.com/hotels/…

Info on your flight time from Cancun would help with suggestions.

I advise three hours before departure even though I have never needed that much time. Others have had time issues checking in.

Edited: 10 November 2012, 18:49
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,535 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight from cozumel to cancun

Good advice from Dan. No way. Best to keep it simple and just take an earlier flight. Maybe someone who has actually used the Mayair option will give some advice.

Tennessee Ridge...
Level Contributor
293 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flight from cozumel to cancun

We are doing the bag and drag for the first time next year. MayAir timeline just didn't work for us. So we plan to spend the night at PDC and take the bus the next afternoon to CUN. Really works out for us. Staying 1 block from the ferry and ADO station and between the beach and 5th. Have the night life before we leave and the beach for the next morning.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,188 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flight from cozumel to cancun

The good thing about experience is that you do not have to have flown Mayair to know that timing is bad. There are fundamentals to many things in life and arriving at the Cancun airport with an hour or less before scheduled departure is not a good idea.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,535 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flight from cozumel to cancun

Agree, you dont have to have flown Mayair to know about the time but always good to hear from people with real experiences as to how much time it actually took them for the connection. I did it once but had too much time in Cancun.

Good plan to spend the night in Playa , cobra. Do buy your bus ticket the day before since the seats are reserved and they can sell out.

Liverpool, New York
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flight from cozumel to cancun

We always have minimum two and a half hours and that works great. I hate being extra stressed. Less than that and your cannot absorb any unforeseen delays or hiccups.

Staying at Playa the night before sounds like a nice, stress-free idea.

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flight from cozumel to cancun

We did this for the first time a couple of months ago. We had a 1:20 pm departure from CUN and (because we had never done it before) took the 9:00am Mayair flight from CZM to CUN. We had tons of time.. Hindsight tells me we could have easily taken the 11:00 Mayair flight and still had plenty of time. The flight was 20 minutes and they shuttle directly to your terminal in CUN. One hour is not enough time but 2 hours should be fine. That was my experience.

9. Re: flight from cozumel to cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2013, 10:16