We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beginner Surfing in Cozumel in December

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Burnaby, British...
3 posts
Save Topic
Beginner Surfing in Cozumel in December

Hi, I am going to Cancun this December,with my boyfriend, but as I know there is no surfing in Cancun, so I wonder if the waves in Cozumel in December are high enough for beginners surfing? I never done surfing but I really want to try and I think as a beginner I don't need to have super waves but enough tall to surf ( NOT boogie boarding)

Also I read some opinions that the beaches in Cozumel are dangerous ( rocky and ets) and many other controversial opinions... If anybody can clarify the situation for me?

If Cozumel is not suitable for beginner surfing than which places are suitable( in December in Mexico or California) I would prefer not far from Cancun if it is possible.

Thank you for info

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beginner Surfing in Cozumel in December

I don't know where you should go...but I know that there is no surf for surfing in Cozumel. There is minor surf on the far side of the island, but the undertow is very bad and its dangerous to go in the water there. I think if you want to surf, you need to stick with California.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
908 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beginner Surfing in Cozumel in December

Nacho Guiterrez (pardon the spelling) teaches surfing in Cozumel. There is surfing on the "wild" side of the island. I don't think Nacho has a web site but here a link to his Facebook page https:/…

Send him a message!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,482 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beginner Surfing in Cozumel in December

There is actually a lot of surfing on the east side. Where it occurs is dependant on the wind which make the waves. We've seen surfers at Punta Chiqueros and lots of surfers just below Coconuts on the east side.

Nacho as mentioned above teaches lessons as does Macheto Snap. Wineott just took lessons from him.

connecticut
Level Contributor
341 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beginner Surfing in Cozumel in December

We have been to Coz 5x my son started taking lessons at age 10 from Nacho and yes he does have a website cozumelh2o.com/index.php/…surfing.html

cozumelh2o . com

Nacho is an International Champion and a new dad, he is absolutely GREAT with kids and beginners. You may also want to take advantage of a service at his wifes salon/spa Blubambu

Have fun surfing in Coz is awesome, just remember a surf shirt or your belly gets red;)

Rockport, Texas
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,023 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beginner Surfing in Cozumel in December

We see them surfing by Chen Rio frequently too.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
3,350 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beginner Surfing in Cozumel in December

I stand corrected....thanks for the lesson all.

7. Re: Beginner Surfing in Cozumel in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 18:18