We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cancun car rental to Cozumel

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Florida
4 posts
Save Topic
Cancun car rental to Cozumel

Hey there! I'm flying into cancun, planning on renting a car for the duration of my trip, but need to get to Cozumel for about half my trip. We're flying in kinda late 3:30 and I know the last car ferry is 6:00pm. We have a lot of luggage/equipment. Any tips? Is it totally unrealistic to try to make it on time? I can't figure out how to reserve the ferry since I don't have our rental car license #

I've read we need to be there an hour early, I think we'll be lucky to get through customs, get our car and find our way on time. But it seems just as expensive to get a shuttle/taxi to playa del carmen ferry (due to all our luggage we want to avoid the bus). Are there car rentals in Cozumel? Any help would be appreciated, we leave in 3 days! I fear if we miss the car ferry, we'll have to drive to Playa del carmen and park our rental car overnight while we take the passenger ferry across.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,408 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cancun car rental to Cozumel

I would rent the car in Cozumel and then another when you return to Playa del Carmen. It is not likely you will make the 6PM ferry and it is expensive and a hassle.

Many rental agencies on Cozumel. Some very good, some very bad. I recommend, as do many others here, ISIS Car Rental. You will deal with Margarita, who is a delightful person and a totally honest one. Her rates are excellent and include insurance.

http://www.rentadoraisis.com.mx/

Edited: 19 November 2012, 13:58
2. Re: Cancun car rental to Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 19 November 2012, 13:59
Edited: 19 November 2012, 13:59
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,408 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cancun car rental to Cozumel

I noticed you do not want to take the bus due to luggage but really very easy and you can hire a man with a tricycle to take your luggage the short distance to the pier. Or, of course, you could arrange a private transfer from the airport to Playa. But that will also require help with your luggage since you cannot arrive any closer to the pier than the ADO bus terminal.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
27,699 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cancun car rental to Cozumel

Useful info here

tinyurl.com/7m3r6

Forget the car from Cancun.

Shelbyville...
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cancun car rental to Cozumel

Your luggage would not be a problem if you take the bus from the airport. The bus is a very nice greyhound style bus with room underneath for tons of luggage. You are probably over complicating by wanting to bring a rental car to Cozumel. Isis has a car rental in PDC and Cozumel. Really the bus is very easy and very affordable and a low stress way to get from the airport to PDC.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
42,408 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cancun car rental to Cozumel

But dont be afraid when bluegrass says " Greyhound style" because these are very clean, new, first class buses. Greyhound would scare me. Really only joking a bit but seriously , the ADO buses are great.

Hancock, New...
Level Contributor
2,190 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cancun car rental to Cozumel

I rent cars on the island (from Margarita at the original Isis) and on the mainland (from Margarita's nephew at Isis Playa del Carmen) fairly frequently, but would never use the car ferry unless I were taking my own personal vehicle onto the island (because I were moving there or had purchased a vehicle on the mainland) or were leaving the island with my own personal vehicle for an extended drive around the mainland.

As others have pointed out, it's unnecessarily expensive, inflexible, and complex. It's also slow and there are few ferries per day.

You definitely do not need a rental car to get yourself and your gear to Cozumel. You may need one if you plan to drive around the peninsula (we rent cars on the mainland when we take visitors to Chichen Itza, Coba, or other Mayan sites, for example). The ADO bus is comfortable, clean, and pleasant.

We use the bus for those times that a couple of us need to get to and from Cancun if airfares were cheaper there. If there are a handful, it's often cheaper to use a private transportation company. In either event, we always use the passenger ferry.

Shelbyville...
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cancun car rental to Cozumel

Oh...right I didn't mean that the bus would be dirty or have some dubious characters on them. They are Very Nice buses!

The first time we used them, I told my DH before the trip, that we would be sharing the bus with the chickens and goats. I was just teasing him, though I could see the look of relief on his face when we actually boarded the bus.

Whatever you decide....have a really great trip!

9. Re: Cancun car rental to Cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 15:19