We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malaria?

Indiana...
Level Contributor
618 posts
191 reviews
Save Topic
Malaria?

I visited Cozumel in October. Today the Red Cross called to ask me to donate blood. Was told I have to wait a year because Cozumel is considered a malaria zone. I did get quite a few mosquito bites. Are there actually cases of malaria that have been diagnosed on the island. Is it a good idea to take prophylactics?

Texas
Level Contributor
5,812 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Malaria?

I would say Dengue Fever is more a problem there.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
15,059 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Malaria?

The CDC says the risk of malaria in the Yucatan is confined to small areas along the Guatemalan border. They're very conservative, and they don't recommend anti-malarials for the area.

wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/mexico.htm

Blood donation seems to be another issue. The rules seem to change often.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
43,369 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Malaria?

No need to worry about malaria, none in Cozumel. As froglegs says, dengue can be a problem. I know, I had it. But nothing to do to prevent it other than avoid mosquito bites.

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Malaria?

The American Red Cross has a 12 month waiting period before donors may give if they visit Cozumel due to risk of having contracted malaria. This is because the US Centers for Disease Control classifies our state of Quintana Roo as "rare for" vs. no malaria.

While local chapters in the US society usually enforce this, treatment is not consistent throughout all chapters. And while it may be inconvenient for donors and malaria is not a problem here, it makes sense:

Donated blood is not tested for malaria. And the American Red Cross, which requires a standard for decision-making, uses CDC data for this.

Other Red Cross societies have other standards. So this does not apply to all visitors to Cozumel.

cozumel
Level Contributor
1,157 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Malaria?

I don't know if the rules have changed since the huge numbers of dengue cases in recent years, but there used to be no quarantine period for blood donations if people had been to Cozumel only vs traveled, vacationed on the mainland. Maybe Deb knows and can comment.

Malaria? It is endemic to the region, but I have never seen a case reported in the area, much less on the island.There is increasing migration of people from other countries to the area that could serve as carriers.

6. Re: Malaria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 07:16