We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is ferry always choppy?

Saskatchewan
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Is ferry always choppy?

We took the ferry yesterday at 5pm and it was pretty choppy, I was about ten more minutes away from throwing up. Some people said it was because a northern cold front (Norte) was coming through. Is that true or is it always choppy?

I'm hesitant about going back to the Main land after last nights experience.

Thanks,

Dave

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
548 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is ferry always choppy?

It's not always choppy...it tends to be rough when there is a north or north west wind or if you return later at night.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,032 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is ferry always choppy?

Its rarely choppy. As said, when a norte is in the area the sea will be rough but I have experienced worse in other parts of the world.

Rockport, Texas
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is ferry always choppy?

It was smooth as glass when we did the bag drag in September. We have had back to back Nortes since we arrived on nov. 14!

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is ferry always choppy?

It was nasty choppy when we took the ferry. Everyone was using their throw-up bags!!!! Take a motion sickness pill or patch before you ride it.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
28,917 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is ferry always choppy?

I ride it as much as many tourists...maybe a bit more and the scare comments about everyone throwing up are something I have never experienced.

Sure it is possible but my opinion is that it is not a common event.

Take Bonine or equivalent well before the passage just in case. You are close to an open water wind/wave environment.

Chatham, Canada
Level Contributor
2,536 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is ferry always choppy?

In September when we took the ferry over to Cancun it wasn't choppy at all.........it was downright rough, about 4'-6' swells, heavers all over especially kids, much better if you can get a seat up top in the fresh air. When it is rough it is never good to be down inside the boat.

Edited: 29 November 2012, 16:14
Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is ferry always choppy?

Every day is different...Enjoy the day!

Union, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,106 posts
440 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is ferry always choppy?

Co-pilot - They are not "scare comments". Just relaying my experience and it was very real!!!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is ferry always choppy?

Pretty much luck of the draw. I have taken the ferry a number of times and it has almost always been smooth. The few times I have taken it in the AM it was smooth as glass.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
Level Contributor
45,032 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is ferry always choppy?

Agree. No one wants to scare anyone, I am sure but it is the luck of the draw. Plus some have more tolerance for the rough seas than others. I am rarely bothered anywhere on a boat but I have a Cozumel friend who gets sick often. I tell her that an island native really shouldnt tell anyone they get seasick ha ha.