We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 mm wetsuit or 3 mm shortie????

Youngstown, OH
Level Contributor
314 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
5 mm wetsuit or 3 mm shortie????

I'm headed to Coz tomorrow and will most definitely do some diving. The coldest water I have ever dove in was 82 degrees and of course a 3 mm shortie was just fine. Will I need my 5 mm wetsuit? I hate to waste that precious space and weight in my luggage if I won't need it! However, I don't want to freeze either!

Cozumel, Mexico
Level Contributor
377 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 mm wetsuit or 3 mm shortie????

If you were fine in 82 degree water with the 3 mil shortie, a 5 mil full will most likely be overkill for you. I'd suggest buying and bringing a beanie to cover your head if you get chilly, it will help a lot and not take up much space at all. I have one like this:

www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx…

Edited: 06 December 2012, 19:35
Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
Level Contributor
12,704 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 mm wetsuit or 3 mm shortie????

If you are planning to do any cenote dives on the mainland though, a full thicker suit will be appreciated! Although what I did was wear one over top of my shortie.

Youngstown, OH
Level Contributor
314 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 mm wetsuit or 3 mm shortie????

No, no cenote dives this trip. Just ocean dives in Coz.

Lees Summit, MO
Level Contributor
482 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 mm wetsuit or 3 mm shortie????

We just got back from 2 wks of diving and wore full 3mm the entire time, towards the end of the trip I was cold on the second dive every time. It's hard to advise since everyone is different. We were with 2 guys that didn't wear anything but swimsuits and they said they were fine, I don't know how they did it. I know this doesn't answer your question but I hope it helps. Personally, if I had to choose between the 2 I would take the 5mm.

okc
Level Contributor
1,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 mm wetsuit or 3 mm shortie????

I never wear anything but swimsuit and t shirt- the only time i might get cold is in winter months during surface interval or ride back to pier. I just bring something dry to put on or wrap up in. enjoy

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
6,670 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 mm wetsuit or 3 mm shortie????

I wear a 3 mil shorty year round. In the winter, I wear a 5 mil beanie to keep my head warm. It works for me most of the time.

In the dead of winter, I might add a fleece shirt under the shortie. My dives are usually in the 65-75 minute range.

Sunray, Texas
Level Contributor
248 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 mm wetsuit or 3 mm shortie????

We're on Coz right now. Water temp is ranging fom 79-81. We are wearing 3/2 mm and we've gotten cool a couple of time but, not too bad.

However, we've gotten cool betwwen dives so a light jacket or fleece might come in handy. Other than that the weather is fabulous and so is the diving.

We've seen Eagle Rays both days so far....awesome sight!

ds2
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
4,044 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 mm wetsuit or 3 mm shortie????

Everyone I spoke with this week said that they were getting cold toward the end of the dives, so I went out today with my 5 full because I chill easily. It's a good one -- too much neoprene for today so I'm swapping it for my 3 full. The wind on the water is cool, so surface temps are lower than bottom temps. IMO, the shorty may not be enough and the 5 may be too much. Time to toss a coin?!

Bring a fleece or something to wear on the boat, though.

9. Re: 5 mm wetsuit or 3 mm shortie????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2013, 03:16